Problem with External Subtitles (.srt) with mkv files (1 Viewer)

SoundCave

Portal Member
September 3, 2008
Home Country
Italy Italy
MediaPortal Version: 1.0 RC2
MediaPortal Skin: Blue Wide
Windows Version: Xp Pro Sp3
CPU Type: Amd Phenom X4 9500
HDD: Maxtor 250Gb
Memory: 2Gb Mushkin DDR2 800Mhz
Motherboard: Asus M2A-VM HDMI
Video Card: Ati HD4850 512Mb
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 8.8
Sound Card: Ati HD4850 512Mb
Sound Card AC3: Ati HD4850 512Mb
Sound Card Driver: Catalyst 8.8
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: Core Avc 1.7
HTPC Case:Antec Fusion Black
Cooling: Silverstone NT06+Noctua 120mm
Power Supply: Enermax Modu82+ 625W
Remote: Logitech Harmony One
TV: Panasonic PZ70
TV - HTPC Connection: Hdmi

Hy everybody, i have problem with Mediaportal 1.0RC2 tryng to watch mkv files with external subtitles stored in
.srt files.

I have no problem at all to visualize this mkv files (CoreAvc codec) but unfortunatly i cannot
visualize external subtitles stored in file with the same name of the video one but with .srt extension.

With other software like Kmplayer all is working great.

I try to use the method described in the document "mediaportal codec guide v.2.674.pdf", put in the
post-processing section the DirectVobSub filter but i still have problems.

With this settings i can visualize the subtitles but it's only colored in black and i cannot change it!
So i'ts quite unreadable !

For avi files i use a workaround, loading subtitles directly with ffdshow function and it's working good.
Use of ffdshow for the H264 coding it's a little bit stressing for the cpu so i prefer to use CoreAvc.

I'd like to see tv-series in original language but with italian subtitles

Can anyone help me?

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
MediaPortal Version: 1.0 RC2
MediaPortal Skin: Blue Wide
Windows Version: Xp Pro Sp3
CPU Type: Amd Phenom X4 9500
HDD: Maxtor 250Gb
Memory: 2Gb Mushkin DDR2 800Mhz
Motherboard: Asus M2A-VM HDMI
Video Card: Ati HD4850 512Mb
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 8.8
Sound Card: Ati HD4850 512Mb
Sound Card AC3: Ati HD4850 512Mb
Sound Card Driver: Catalyst 8.8
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: Core Avc 1.7
HTPC Case:Antec Fusion Black
Cooling: Silverstone NT06+Noctua 120mm
Power Supply: Enermax Modu82+ 625W
Remote: Logitech Harmony One
TV: Panasonic PZ70
TV - HTPC Connection: Hdmi

Hy everybody, i have problem with Mediaportal 1.0RC2 tryng to watch mkv files with external subtitles stored in
.srt files.

I have no problem at all to visualize this mkv files (CoreAvc codec) but unfortunatly i cannot
visualize external subtitles stored in file with the same name of the video one but with .srt extension.

With other software like Kmplayer all is working great.

I try to use the method described in the document "mediaportal codec guide v.2.674.pdf", put in the
post-processing section the DirectVobSub filter but i still have problems.

With this settings i can visualize the subtitles but it's only colored in black and i cannot change it!
So i'ts quite unreadable !

For avi files i use a workaround, loading subtitles directly with ffdshow function and it's working good.
Use of ffdshow for the H264 coding it's a little bit stressing for the cpu so i prefer to use CoreAvc.

I'd like to see tv-series in original language but with italian subtitles

Can anyone help me?

Why are you using externa subtitles for MKV? Place them inside MKV. It is realy easy with this tool: mkvtoolnix -- Matroska tools for Linux/Unix and Windows

Sypher

Portal Member
June 13, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Same problem over here. Works perfect in Videolan & Windows Media Player (with DirectVobSub).

It worked before but it doesn't work anymore now. I've tried another codec (MPV) but that didn't work either.

The file is named exactly as the mkv file.

Placing the subs in an external file is a no-go for me. It costs me too much time to do that on this scale.

SoundCave

Portal Member
September 3, 2008
Home Country
Italy Italy
Thank you very much for your answer, i take a look at the link you give me, but i'm afraid
that i have the same problem with the internal subtitles.

I try a movie in mkv format with 2 subtitles tracks (sweeney tood) but the problem is the same ......

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Anyone for this problem with subtitles+mkv files?

Well, if you have subtitles inside MKV file, and you have install Haali media splitter - try this >>> small tool<<< - it will install & configures it for you automaticky. Remember - you must enable subtitles in MP too - just run your moovie in MP, then right mouse click show the menu...

solis66

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi.
    I had some similar problems. I use Haali splitter that autoloads VobSub for the subs, but it didnt show them (even though vobsub was activated, icon beside the clock). Then I tried to register the VSFilter.dll with the cmd regsrv32 VSFilter.dll and Voila, it worked. Strange, because all my regular avis did show the subs before so I thought it was registered properly.

Problem 1:
    Another thing with mkv is that I can choose between the internal subs in MP, as expected. If I add an external .srt sub I can only see this one, while choosing any of the internal subs. So it is either internal or external, no mix.

Problem 2:
    If I dont have an internal sub in the mkv-file, Vobsub never autoloads and I dont get the option to view the external .srt-file at all. Is my only option to activate vobsub as postprocessing ?

Problem 3:
    In Haali you can set a default language in subs, like swe for me. It works in other players like WMP, but in MP it seems that it always the first one in list selected and then I have to switch with the remote to my language. Does MP not see this alternative, or have I missed something...

Othervise this setup works fine.

SoundCave

Portal Member
    September 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Thank you very much for your answers hoborg

Probably the problem for me is that i have not the right software configuration i had to
    uninstall all and re-registry (even if i already done)

X Solis66 , excuse me but i don't know how to help you

solis66

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi SoundCave

It's OK.
    These questions are more general ones regarding mkv-files, and with this headline I guess there are more users reading this post so I think someone has some thoughts about mkv and subtitles.
    We'll just wait and see...:)

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    External subtitles + MKV doesnt work for me too, so i put them inside MKV and tag them with correct language. I didn't see an reason to use MKV + external subtitles...

Using tool i post in previous post it works great for me. I now automatickly change all my new AVI to MKV, becouse it work simply great for me.

I don't use any kind of codec packs, ffdshow and MP postrocesing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom