Problem with fast forward and rewind on Recordings / Live TV (1 Viewer)

rmeredit

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 10, 2007
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    TV-Server Version: 1.0.0 RC2
    MediaPortal Version: 1.0.0 RC2
    MediaPortal Skin: XFace 1.6
    Windows Version: XP SP3
    CPU Type: Intel Core2 Duo E6400 (2.12Ghz)
    HDD: Western Digital 500GB SATA
    Memory: 1024MB DDR2
    Motherboard: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
    Video Card: Gigabyte Nvidia 7600GT
    Video Card Driver: Latest Nvidia Drivers
    Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio (on motherboard)
    Sound Card AC3: Optical Out
    Sound Card Driver: 5.10.0.5247
    1. TV Card: DNTV Live! Dual Hybrid PCIe S2
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-T dual tuner (does dual analog as well)
    1. TV Card Driver: 1.0.3.1
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: NVidia PureVideo
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: NVidia PureVideo
    h.264 Video Codec:
    Satelite/CableTV Provider:
    HTPC Case: Silverstone LC16M
    Cooling: Zelman
    Power Supply: Asus 460W modular
    Remote: iMon Pad (shipped with Silverston Case)
    TV: Sony 32" V300a
    TV - HTPC Connection: DVI -> HDMI

I recently made the upgrade from an SVN of 0.2.3 to 1.0.0RC2, and along with that a shift from TVE2 to TVE3 with TV Server. After upgrading, I moved my old DVRMS recordings to My Videos. Everything (with a minor exception of external display stuff that appears to be fixed for RC3) is going fine, and I'm loving the use of a server for recording, etc. etc.

The main problem at the moment is seeking in any video that is sourced from my TV card - ie. timeshifted live tv or recordings. The symptoms are exactly those described in this post. Although that post was in relation to problems with 0.2.3, and it seems that it was solved at the time, I am experiencing exactly the same problem. That post also specifically referred to .ts format video, but I have these symptoms with both .ts recordings and .mpg recordings, as well as on my old dvrms recordings. I had no problem whatsoever under 0.2.3 and TVE2 (which I used to make the dvrms recordings).

I have tried various codecs (nvidia, cyberlink, ffdshow, mpv/a etc.) as others have in the thread I linked to above, with the same results - mpv works slightly better than the others, but only just and is still pretty unusable. I've also tried it with EVR and VRM9, with no difference seen.

My CPU utilisation is around 15% with HD content (never more than 20%), and FPS in the GUI is 60. I don't think it's the processing capability of my hardware (esp. given all was fine under TVE2).

Indications from the above thread would suggest a problem with the tsreader filter in TVE3.

I've attached some logs of timeshifting live tv, playing recordings (made with TVE3) and playing some old recordings (made with TVE2). This run was done with my normal skin (xface) but I've also tried this out with BlueTwo Wide.

Hope someone can help.

Rob.

PS - I also have the 'chipmunk' effect when ffwd x2 with avi files (mostly divx I think) but that's a separate issue I think, based on the posts I've read.

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    When you forward, does it look like the frame jumps forward and backward continually? I'm asking because I also get that with most codec....but not MPV. I think its either got something to do with XP SP3, or the hardware acc with my ATI card, because it started after I installed SP3 and upgraded my ATI-drivers.

rmeredit

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 10, 2007
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    No, the video doesn't update at all in rewind, and only very occasionally in fast forward. The GUI timeline either half displays (ie. partly fades in) or if it does display, the times themselves don't display and the progress bar doesn't move at all.

My sound system goes a bit nuts as well - connected via optical SPDIF, the receiver locks and unlocks on the audio signal, suggesting tiny bursts of data sporadically coming through. Not sure why anything to do with audio (other than mute) should be occurring during seeking...

Hitting play resumes proper playback at the position MP seems to have decided it's up to - ie. the seek operation seems to have actually worked, it's just the update of the display that's the problem.

Seeking with skip steps works in the meantime, but registering the first button press is quite sluggish with nothing displaying in the GUI for about 1 second before the +15 +30 etc. get shown.

All of this only happens with MPEG2 material from the TV (haven't tried DVD yet). Other codecs are fine, despite the chipmunk effect in x2 on some avi's.

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hitting play resumes proper playback at the position MP seems to have decided it's up to - ie. the seek operation seems to have actually worked, it's just the update of the display that's the problem.

All of this only happens with MPEG2 material from the TV (haven't tried DVD yet). Other codecs are fine, despite the chipmunk effect in x2 on some avi's.

These two problems are the same I've got, but I dont have the other problems....perhaps they are all related :confused:

Sorry I dont know what the ploblem might be, but I have seen many other complaints about FFW so it must be a general problem....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom