problem with various artist albums & a feature request! (1 Viewer)

zombiepig

Portal Pro
March 21, 2005
Melb, Aus
Home Country
since cvs on 1/4/06, various artist albums in my music have been incorrectly listed as multiple albums by single artists. this is probably the result of this change:

"01/04/2006 [13:46:09] _Bavarian added the following change: fixing 020: Music database does not support 2 albums with same name"

this highlights a problem that's come up a few times before - if albums are grouped on the album name alone, then having two albums with the same name but different artists will incorrectly lump the two albums together. grouping by both album name and artist name (which the latest cvs's do) fixes this, but in the process it means compilations with more then one artist are split into multiple albums for each artist!

here's a screenshot - this is only one compilation album but appears multiple times, once for each artist

compilationalbum.jpg

i think the only way to get around this is to add support for the 'album artist' (or 'ALBUMARTIST' or 'AlbumArtist') tag. imo this is one of the few things wmp/mce does right :p For compilations this tag is set to "Various Artists", and the individual tracks still have their artists stored in the normal artist tag. It also has the advantage of being able to sort albums more neatly when they have a lot of tracks with artist tags like 'The Herd (feat. Jane Tyrell)' instead of just 'The Herd' - you can leave all the artist tags with the extra credits but just set the album artist tag as 'The Herd', so these tracks still get grouped together correctly. :D

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Just to get the obvious question out of the way - "Does this exhibit the same problem with the BlueTwo skin?"

Mike

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    looks like Bavarian has re-introduced my Patch again, that Steve had disabled. :D
    I would support this feature.
    Howver to my knowledge, there is nothing like an ALBUMARTIST tag within mp3.
    That is in wma only.
    Do you know how wmp/mce handles that for mp3 files?

We could have it as user extensions in mp3 files.

zombiepig

Portal Pro
    March 21, 2005
    Melb, Aus
    Home Country
    here's a thread on hydrogenaudio that explains albumartists tags. scroll down to the 4th post and it's summed up nicely:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=31543&hl=

and there's no problems tagging mp3 or flac/ape etc with an album artist tag, i do it all the time :)

what mce does is when you're in an album view, albums will be listed as "album name - album artist". so compilations end up displaying as "mix cd - various artists". but when you go into artist view, it displays ALL the artists, not just the ones listed in albumartist tags. makes a lot of sense and really helps in organizing music!

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    yeah, youre absolutely right that MP should work that way.

What are you using for tagging your MP3 files?
    There is no offical Album Artist frame in ID3v2. At least i can't find someone.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The problem with automated systems is that there r always exeptions to the rules.
    How do we handle these exeptions?
    Tags we cannot use as there r too many differences in tagging systems like id3 v1, v2, m4a m4p etc...

We could make an option called
    "treat as 1 album when in same folder"

I think this is a sweet spot that will help most.
    Basically when you put the songs in 1 folder on your HD this option will treat it as 1 album.

What do you think?

MrSensitive

Portal Pro
    May 18, 2004
    Belgium
    I would like to vote on this too..
    as I struggle with the same problems in the PocketPC client..
    AlbumArtist currently does not exist in de MP database...

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Searched a bit meanwhile and saw that other systems using the TPE2 frame of id3 v2, that is the "Band" frame.

And i like MrMarios idea

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts USA
    MrMario64 said:
    The problem with automated systems is that there r always exeptions to the rules.
    How do we handle these exeptions?
    Tags we cannot use as there r too many differences in tagging systems like id3 v1, v2, m4a m4p etc...

We could make an option called
    "treat as 1 album when in same folder"

I think this is a sweet spot that will help most.
    Basically when you put the songs in 1 folder on your HD this option will treat it as 1 album.

What do you think?

I like it and it's precisely the route I took when I coded some database changes a couple of weeks ago :D . The changes haven't been commited because of the code freeze but it seems to work quite well. The one thing I haven't done is make it optional. Which begs the question; should it be an option? How many users have multiple albums in the same folder.

The database changes also include a new field; album.iNumArtists where a value > 1 indicates various artists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom