Problem with VC-1 mkv's (1 Viewer)

sclaws

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2009
    Chicago western suburbs
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hoping for some suggestions here...I just started using mkv for TV blu ray episodes. I haven't had issues with videos encoded with MPEG4, but while trying to convert the Clone Wars blu ray set, which is VC-1, I cannot get Mediaportal to play the files (says "unable to play: WVC1 video / AC3 audio") thru TV Series. Odd thing is it works fine on my nVidia system, but not my ATI system.

OS is Win7 Pro x64, 9.11 drivers for ATI 4670 and I used MakeMKV to create the files. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this? Thx for any ideas!!

JimK

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Hoping for some suggestions here...I just started using mkv for TV blu ray episodes. I haven't had issues with videos encoded with MPEG4, but while trying to convert the Clone Wars blu ray set, which is VC-1, I cannot get Mediaportal to play the files (says "unable to play: WVC1 video / AC3 audio") thru TV Series. Odd thing is it works fine on my nVidia system, but not my ATI system.

OS is Win7 Pro x64, 9.11 drivers for ATI 4670 and I used MakeMKV to create the files. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this? Thx for any ideas!!

JimK

It is most likely a codec problem. My own preference is with "Media Player Classic - Home Cinema", it comes both as a program with codecs build in, but the codecs are also available in a stand-alone version so that other programs, including MediaPortal can use them.

They have 32-bit and 64-bit versions, with full DXVA support, and they work on XP/Vista/Win7. Any file that plays in the stand-alone version of MPC-HC can be made to play inside MediaPortal by installing the related codec and/or splitter.

So grab the standalone filters from: Browse Media Player Classic - Home Cinema Files on SourceForge.net and register the ones you want to use (I prefer to only install the ones I actually use).

For example you unzip the "MPC-Standalone Filters.1.3.1249.0.(x86).zip" into "C:\Program Files\MPC-Standalone Filters" and then for basic MKV playback you would run:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\MPC-Standalone Filters\MatroskaSplitter.ax"
    regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\MPC-Standalone Filters\MPCVideoDec.ax"

The first enables support to read MKV files, the 2nd is to make the video codecs work. AC3/DTS audio I prefer to run via the AC3Filter codec myself. To control the merit and properties of these filter you can use: DirectShow Filter Manager or control them from within MediaPortal.

sclaws

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2009
    Chicago western suburbs
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks for the help...turns out it was a MP setting issue. For the H264 codec setting I had selected 'Microsoft DTV - DVD'. Changed to the Arcsoft decoder and the mkv's are working now :) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom