Problems with 1.1.0 RC1? (1 Viewer)

JackRackham

Portal Member
January 7, 2007
Home Country
Italy Italy
Hi all, this is my first attempt in using ASIO.
I have a M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 installed on a genuine and fully updated Windows XP SP3. I'm using the official 1.1.0 RC1 (no snv).
After installing the PureAudio plugin (0.2.2.0 alpha 2, as suggested on the first sticky post) I can setup the ASIO preferences, but then I can't find a way to get back to the setup windows unless I reinstall the plugin. Am I missing something?

Also, after installing, I have no clues to understand if the driver is working or not, since I can't find any reference on MediaPortal configuration utility.
Someone in this forum suggested to look into mediaportal.log file: there should be a reference about MediaPortal loading the PureAudio driver instead of BASS, but in my log file I can't find any reference to PureAudio, just BASS. I have to assume that PureAudio isn't workign at all?

Can someone please help me or point me in the right direction?

Thanks a lot in advance to you all!
Bye
--
JackRackham

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    after you download and extract the ZIP you should be left with a MPE (?) file. Launching this should add it to MP.

In the MP config app you should see a PureAudio icon under external players. You need to go there and enable it. You can also access the settings there. Once loaded you should see references to PureAudio in your log files

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The plugin is disabled by default after installing. As jameson_uk mentioned, the plugin can be enabled and configured in the MP configuration program. You'll find it in the plugins section, and then in the external players group.

During installation there's also an option to configure the plugin, but that configuration does not get saved for some reason.

JackRackham

Portal Member
    January 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Thanks a lot jameson_uk and Symphy for the lightning fast reply! :)

Ok, I managed to enable the PureAudio plugin on MP config utility, and this is ok (and also pretty noob to ask, I admit!).

I also configured again the plugin, as suggested by Symphy, so it should be ok right now.

But I still can't find any reference in my MediaPortal.log file, I can still read that BASS is loading up.

I can find reference to PureAudio just in the Configuration.log.

I'm attaching both logs to this post.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    --
    JackRackham

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The plugin will not show up in the log before the first playback has started. According the log you haven't hit 'play' yet :)

JackRackham

Portal Member
    January 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    The plugin will not show up in the log before the first playback has started. According the log you haven't hit 'play' yet :)

Doh! :oops:

While we're around, let me take advantage of "noob sunday" and let me ask another question!

PureAudio seems to be working now and I can finally find references in the log file (no listening tests yet, btw!), but when the music is playing I can't manage the volume using the remote.

I also had this problem in the past with the MediaPortal embedded ASIO. This is the way ASIO works? Or maybe there's some setting in my audio adapter software (or any software) that I have to properly config? It's very old-school to manage the volume with the knob on my amp, but I'm much more comfortable doing it from the couch using my remote! :p

By the way, thanks a lot for your help, have a nice sunday! :D

--
    JackRackham

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Because ASIO basically bypasses Windows, it also bypasses the standard volume control..
    I have not added a replacement for that to the plugin, allthough it would technically be possible. The reason for that is the fact that controlling volume in the digital domain can degrade quality, and thats not why we're using ASIO :)

So the volume knob might be old-school, but technically its the best way of doing things :)

Besides, most amps these days have a remote control of their own. (I admit it, my old Denon does not have it either :))

JackRackham

Portal Member
    January 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Symphy said:
    Because ASIO basically bypasses Windows, it also bypasses the standard volume control..
    I have not added a replacement for that to the plugin, allthough it would technically be possible. The reason for that is the fact that controlling volume in the digital domain can degrade quality, and thats not why we're using ASIO :)

Thanks for the complete and interesting answer, today I learned something new! :)

Symphy said:
    So the volume knob might be old-school, but technically its the best way of doing things :)

Ok, I will get used to it! :) And a "little exercise" from the couch to the amp will surely not hurt me!

Symphy said:
    Besides, most amps these days have a remote control of their own. (I admit it, my old Denon does not have it either :))

I'm pretty new to the "audiophile scene", I'm still playing with small Class T/D amps (a Sonic Impact T-Amp for a year and a Scythe Kama Bay AMP Kro now), so no remote for me too! :)

Thanks again, I'm off to some listening tests! :)

--
    JackRackham

Mr.Wifi

Portal Pro
    August 26, 2008
    Düsseldorf
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    For me it isn´t working under win7, as soon as i start any playback MP crashes :mad:

Any ideas ?

I´m using Asio 4 all and i think that i´ve everything properly installed. I´m now inbetween decisions, wether stay musicwise with MP or build myself an dedicated audio PC or even get a Squeezebox Touch. Wasapi or KS would be a great implementation allowing to benefit from devices like the M2Tech Hiface. Asio is just outdated in modern PC audio imho and far to buggy.

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    For me it isn´t working under win7, as soon as i start any playback MP crashes :mad:

Any ideas ?

I dont wanna be annoying, but i need some LOGS if you want me look into something.
    Its been said a 1000 times now all over the MP forums, so this is the last time i will respond to reports like this.

Problem reports without logfiles will be ignored and probably deleted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom