Problems with MCE remote intermittently not recovering after standby (1 Viewer)

htpcoz

Portal Pro
July 25, 2005
Brisbane
Home Country
This is not a mediaportal problem I believe per-se. It is a problem that has intermittently crept into my machine over the last couple of months.

The issue is when my machine restarts from standby, as a result of waking due to the MCE remote power button. The system wakes, so the MCE receiver is working and is talking to the machine to restore the PC. However once the machine has started the MCE remote is unable to control MP, MP is running and can be controlled though the keyboard fine, but the MCE remote seems to be non-operational. The red light on the receiver flashes, but is just not communicating with MP.

If I unplug and replug the USB receiver things come back fine.

Again, it is intermittent. The receiver is working as it is able to wake the PC. I've tried to write a wake script that does the devcon rescan to see if I can get the USB to be redetected on resume, but to no avail.

Anyone come across this, and any ideas how to get around it?

htpcoz

Portal Pro
July 25, 2005
Brisbane
Home Country
I wonder if it is related to the changes that have gone on with the changed power handling. Somewhere around RC3 it appears there was some change to the processing/handling of resume/standby events.

This has causes some other issues (blank screen on resume) that has been resolved by the useS3Hack configuration item. But that hasn't changed the issue I've seen with the intermittent IR receiver failure on restart.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    htpcoz

Uninstall ehome receiver in device manager, remove usb plug, reboot and then reinsert when windows fully loaded, this has happened to me a couple of times, and this has been the fix for me, somehow the driver gets corrupted, seems to work fine from boot, but stops after resume, lights up as you said, just nothing happens and the only keys that seem to be responsive is the power button.

htpcoz

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2005
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Ray,

thanks for the reply. I gave it a go, worked the first couple of suspends, and then this morning, it was back again. Which is about the sort of frequency I've seen before... hard to say what's going on. I might try a rollback to an earlier version (pre RC3/4) where the behaviour seemed to start to occur. It's hard to understand how an MP version might exacerbate this, but it does seem to have crept in recently for me since upgrading. I know that there have been some changes to the standby handling in MP, so maybe related.

Anyhow, thanks again, will keep trying.

dizzydone

Portal Member
    December 26, 2006
    I have the same problem, but only when I press a button too fast when the PC is resuming from standby.
    When I wait 20 seconds or so (until the bleep from Windows that the USB devices have been found), then everything works...
    Although annoying, I can live with this.

Is this also the case with you?

Furox

Portal Member
    July 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    there have been similar issues in the german forum (here) and no working solutions yet.
    does your receiver also get listed as an "unknown device" under the usb controllers in the device manager after resuming?

JBravo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Got the same problem here, using Vista Ulimtate SP1.

I'm using IRSS for my MCE remote, so I did post my logs here, https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mce-replacement-plugin-165/ir-server-suite-version-1-0-4-1-1-4-2-test-build-2627-a-33512/index69.html#post383082

If anyone is using MP builtin remote support I suggest that you post a bugreport and full logs here, 1.0 final and SVN Builds - MediaPortal Forum

Even though this may not be a MediaPortal bug, this can help us pinpoint the problem.

Furox
    No 'unknown devices' here.

htpcoz

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2005
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    It could be related to the speed of keypresses, as I do have a macro setup on my remote for startup.

I might reprogram it and put MP as the last thing to start, and don't automatically jump to TV, do that manually. Will get back to you on what I find.

ALso, in my case the device is in device manager, it doesn't show up as "unknown device" is shows up as (I think) ehome receiver, and it is still there when the machine wakes up, but it just doesn't operate.

I'm not running IRSS, just plain vanilla standard MCE driver and built in MP MCE remote support.

Will update how I go with ensuring PC has time to start up.

ozymandyaz

Portal Member
    December 20, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I am also having the same issue with WinXP, MP1.0 and the eHome receiver. Seems to have started around the time I upgraded to RC3 or MP 1.0...

Very intermittent, all fixed with a re-boot...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom