problems with powerscheduler and recording (1 Viewer)

zombiepig

Portal Pro
March 21, 2005
Melb, Aus
Home Country
Area: Media Portal Program
MP Version: 0.20 + stable patch
Skin: Bluetwo
Windows Version: XP MCE w/ SP2
CPU Type: Intel P4 2.0 GHz
Memory: 512 DDR
Video Codec Type & Version: Nvidia
Audio Codec Type & Version: Nvidia
TV Card: Compro Videomate DVB-t200A
TV Card Type: hardware DVB
TV Card Driver: 1.3.3.9

I'm experiencing a few problems trying to use powerscheduler to wake up my PC from S3 suspend to record scheduled programs. I'm running a clean install of the 0.2, with the stable patch from installed. Basically, there's two different problems i'm seeing:

1. mp fails to wake from s3 state for recording. sometimes when i schedule a program to record mp will fail to wake.
a log from this kind of failure is here:
http://werewolves.soundslikechicken.com.au/mp/didnt_wakeup.log
i loaded mp, scheduled a program to record at 6pm. set mp to suspend with the power button on the mce remote. mp fails to wake at 5:54 (5minutes pre-padding + 1 minute wakeup time set in powerscheduler).
it looks to me like powerscheduler isn't setting a wakeup event properly when the recording is scheduled.

2. mp wakes correctly, but nothing seems to happen, and about a minute later mp goes back to sleep. if i manually wake mp up after that, it immediately begins to record.
a log from this kind of behaviour is here: http://werewolves.soundslikechicken.com.au/mp/wakeup_not_record.log
a recording was scheduled for 7:30, mp wakes correctly at 7:24, but goes back to sleep at 7:26.

CHli

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Switzerland
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
I have a lots of problem with MP 0.2 and powerscheduler too.

Sorry don't have time to make a full debug session with lots of informations but it's the same kind as described above.

janno

Portal Member
July 17, 2006
Home Country
Germany Germany
I have same trouble with powerscheduler. I am wondering about the times i have marked in red.

17/07/2006 5:51:09 PM PowerScheduler: GetNextRecordingStarttime() starttime 1/01/0001 12:00:00 AM
17/07/2006 5:51:09 PM PowerScheduler: tmpNextStarttime 1/01/0001 12:00:00 AM earliestPossibleRecording 17/07/2006 5:53:09 PM - Power Scheduler

janno

J-B-N

Portal Pro
December 29, 2005
Sweden
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
There seems to be a problem with suspend/hibernate from the remote. You can see infintiyloops answer in my bug report here.

zombiepig

Portal Pro
March 21, 2005
Melb, Aus
Home Country
ok - that explains issue number 1 i was seeing, as i suspended the pc with the mp remote for that one. so i gather there's a bug that means if you suspend the pc manually, powerscheduler doesn't correctly register the wake up events.

but in issue 2, where it wakes then falls asleep again, it was powerscheduler that sent it to sleep. so i guess that's a totally different issue!

it's good to see i'm not the only one with these problems - hopefully together we can help get it all sorted out!! :D

zombiepig

Portal Pro
March 21, 2005
Melb, Aus
Home Country
ok - i've found out something else about the wake up/go straight to sleep without recording issue.
i changed my setup to use hibernate (s4) instead of suspend (s3), and allowed powerscheduler to send the system to sleep. it then woke at the correct time, and started recording properly!! so this issue is only present when using suspend, not hibernate.
i tried sending the system to hibernate with the mce remote, and the first issue is still present - no wakeup event is set and mp continues to sleep right through the whole scheduled recording.

this is something at least - it's got my htpc sleeping/waking to record alright. but i'd much rather use s3 suspend then hibernate. it loads up a lot quicker, and my motherboard won't wake up from hibernate with the mce remote button :(

is it possible to get someone to confirm these bugs exist and get them added to mantis?

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
The answer for problem 1 is that you are forcing MP to suspend (either via a remote button or via its power menu). You're setting the timer record at 5:50PM. At that time, if the earliest time that powerscheduler will wake up the PC is 5:57PM. Therefore if you set a timer recording at 5:50 for 5:54PM, powerscheduler will not act. The computer will remain on and the recording will start at 5:54PM.

Powerscheduler is designed to have wakeup tolerances built in, therefore if you set an event (e.g. a timered recording) within the next 10 minutes or so, it will not suspend itself (i.e. even if you're on the home screen, it will not suspend). Instead it will wait until the recording is over before reconsidering any action. Another reason for this tolerance is that it knows its suspend timer will not run out before this period of time, hence assuming the computer will remain on.

Unfortunately, powerscheduler does not do anything to tell you this - hence why you can suspend the computer even via MP's own power menu and not have it wake up. It effectively ignores the recording you set in 10 minutes time because it will not suspend the computer and MP's recording handler will be able to handle it as it assumes the computer will be on. You can see this in the logs when it says 'earliest valid starttime'. Anything that you set before this powerscheduler will ignore.

This is by design - it can be better implemented though I suppose through notifications.

BTW, the dates 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM is simply a date to show that there is no next time.

I hope it makes sense.

Sam

jake78

Portal Pro
July 30, 2005
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I have the same issue but I use PVR Scheduler, it resumes...starts recording for 2 minutes and then goes back to standby. I have been troubleshooting this now for 3 days and it's not a fault with PVR Scheduler. This started happening after 0.2.0.0 final. Power scheduler is not enabled, and I have made another clean installation. It never fails, it's always 2 minutes...
If I wake the computer manually during the recording, it works fine.

Is there a new power management event in the final 0.2.0.0?

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    starts recording for 2 minutes and then goes back to standby
    This is NOT new - I even got this in RC2...

Please try:
    pre-record 7 min
    post-record 7 min

Wake up 1 min before
    Standby after > 15 Min

and report back

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom