Progress bar while MP is working (1 Viewer)

fluff

Portal Member
July 20, 2005
Sweden
Hi

One thing I think MP would really need is a progress bar like the green spinning circle that MCE uses to inform the user that the program is loading/preparing for usage of the request. If you press "My TV", the screen goes black for a couple of seconds to initiate TS and so on. But for less experienced user (like my parents) they will keep pressing "OK" since the computer is obvious not responding according to them. This "My TV" issue is not that hard to learn that it takes a couple of seconds. But there are many delays every here and there and it is pretty annoying to keep track if the remote actually got the signal to the computer or if MP is working. The delays between channels is something that many people are not used to. Instead of swapping 3 channels due to delay. It would be more clear if it said "changing channel" or just a progress bar.

This sort of feature would make MP more friendly to use and even though the delays would be the same it would seem like MP is responding faster and more interactive.

Thanks

Fluff

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Yes, I wish more of the developers would use the existing "wait" animation that exists in MP as a standard, it seems more developers have faster computers and faster (and/or more reliable) internet connections than some of the users.

BTW - You can see the current MP wait during the weather retrival.

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes, I wish more of the developers would use the existing "wait" animation that exists in MP as a standard
    It's currently just not possible to use it everywhere. Wherever it can be used, it is already done. It's a structure problem. MPNG will not suffer from that.

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That will most probably be the next version after MP 0.3. So will take several months until that will be published. There's not even a date for MP 0.3. ;)

MPNG currently is an internal name for the version that e.g. contains a new skin engine, etc. That's why a wait cursor will be possible everywhere with it.

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    the wait cursor should pop up by MP process itself when a requested function takes some time to return

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Feature addition request for the spinning wheel: Possible to show the text "connecting" & "buffering" hovering over the top of the wheel?

That way when connecting to slower streams the user would know what is happening. WMP10 displays that info down in the "status" area at the bottom. It could also pop up showing the "status" when the stream drops? It would sure help to know with a radio stream (or video streams) if maybe time to try another station, instead of waiting.

zag2me

Portal Pro
    April 11, 2006
    Home Country
    England England
    A progress Bar would be much better than that infinite circle :)

MrMad

Portal Pro
    May 18, 2005
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    And how would you implement a progress bar? It's not like you know from the start how long it will take to e.g. connect to a stream, so it's impossible to know how many percent of the time has passed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom