PROGRESS, QUESTIONS, BUGS... (1 Viewer)

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
[Please read if you are involved in anything that has to do with: VOLUME CONTROL, TRANSLATIONS, HOME PLUGIN, RADIO, MYPROGRAMS, EXTERNAL DISPLAY]

So, here I am moved from a "competitor" that moved on for the big bucks. I remember a very early MediaPortal, so no I had to check things out from the scratch. This version numbering is a bit conservative ain't it?

Anyway, I write this to document show my progress, ask questions, report bugs and propose new things. I am not sure where I should put such a thing, so I post it in the main forum and maybe I will add some links on other "folders".

I used Meedio before, but not for TV, where I used GBPVR (I am in fact happy with it). Also I used various plugins for various things, used Girder (mostly for mapping keys according to foreground software and a bit VFD work) and some other external programs, like Media Player Classic (which probably is also my favourite video player). All those on a normal WinXP SP2 machine, with a Marmitek (looks like the ATI) RF remote and a DiNovo. The box has a 2x16 HD44780 parallel VHD.

Now for my experience with MediaPortal. I love it. It has made me do MUCH more than what I expected! Furthermore, it seems I am eliminating external programs one by one since... I mostly don't need them. That doesn't mean that MP shouldn't give us the ability to USE external programs MUCH easier.

Now for the issues...

First of all here is the standard template:

Area: Media Portal Program or Skin or Plugin
MP Version: RC4
Skin: MCE
Windows Version: WinXP SP2
CPU Type: some intel @2.6GHz
Memory: 512MB HT
Motherboard Chipset: i875
Video Card: ATI 9800XT/256
Video Card Driver: latest (6.4?)
Video Card Resolution: 720x576
Video Render Type: Overlay I think (irrelevant)
Video Codec Type & Version: Intervideo NonCSS for Hauppauge (for TV), Intervideo for videos
Audio Codec Type & Version: Intervideo NonCSS for Hauppauge (for TV), Intervideo for videos
TV Card: Hauppauge PVR-350
TV Card Type: hardware PVR, PCI
TV Card Driver: latest
Optional Log: no log
Optional References: -

Synopsis: Read below for various issues.

[A. GENERAL ISSUES AND REQUESTS]

A1) Why can't we change (all) the keymappings?

A2) Sheduling is missing from MP functionality. Ability to perform specific tasks in certain times/intervals etc. Like updating EPG WITHOUT using the preset scripts (but by running some custom file we want), or even for running WebEPG.

A3) Timer. Probably as a plugin, ability to shutdown (program or machine) based on a timeout or a specific time. Ability to cancel it too of course!

A4) Video doesn't play! I select the video I want and nothing happens. In fact MP seems to freeze for a while, but then everything is back to normal. I tried Intervideo CODECs.

A5) Huge delay when MP startups, when it writes "loading skin". What is wrong?

A6) Run external programs directly from a menu item! (not submenus etc.), it is so simple, yet it cannot be done in MP! - See also G below.

[B. VOLUME CONTROL]

B1) Basicaly it sucks (sorry). My objection is basicaly with "control" settings. It gives you only "Master" and "wave". Well let me tell you, at least on my system (SPD/IF connected) it doesn't work. There is a separate control (in windows volume control) for SPD/IF out. So up to now, I had Girder setup (among other things) to control THIS volume property when I press the volume buttons. Why no MP to allow for this? i.e. mapping volume control to ANY volume property windows allows? This is very important. I and don't think it will be very difficult.
Also, why are "startup" (volume) settings ghosted? They are future options?

[C. SKIN/TRANSLATION/HOME PLUGIN]

I had an interesting experience with Greek. When I first installed MP, I found out that I couldn't read greek filenames or tags in the various browsers in MP. By chance, I switched the display language to Greek, which both translated some (not all) menu items plus allowed me to read Greek filenames and tags.

C1) National characters should be viewable irrelevant of the display language selected. What if we have unicode filenames in 3-4 languages?

C2) Who maintains the Greek translation? How? How can I help? It is not complete at all.

C3) Within Home plugin, I cannot change labels!!! I click where it says "Button Text", edit the entry, but it changes it back! I don't touch anything else (like the plugin name), so why this happens? I cannot name my menu choices as I want?

C4) Can I change the behavior of MP to scroll the menu but NOT wrap it around? I am confused when this happens (and doesn't look nice with very small submenus!). Else, is there a way to leave some space between wrapping the last entry with the first?

C5) In Home plugin, I cannot understand what those entries do: fix scroll bars, noscroll submenus (when I select this it adds some spaces in submenu entries...), topbar2 in submenus, no topbar in submenus... what these things do? I cannot understand.

C6) In Home plugin, sometimes if I move items around, they are duplicated MULTIPLE times and I have to erase the clones! It really duplicates the entries (it is not just visual problem), because if I close Home configuration and reopen it, I see all the new clones again.

[D. RADIO]

D1) VERY WEIRD. When I close MP and load it again, the last FM station selected plays by itself! This happens even if I stop it and quit. If I reload MP it starts the station AGAIN and I have to stop it again! Why? This is a major problem! Everytime I start MP it plays radio and I have to press "stop" again! Help.

D2) Why not have groups like there are in MyTV?

[E. EXTERNAL DISPLAY]

E1) It happened once. I wonder if anybody knows why. I used my DiNovo MediaPad and although it worked, later in the day it said in the configuation that it cannot see a MediaPad! If it was really lost (pairing etc.) I would understand it, but the weird thing is that MediaPad was working FINE and I could use the cursor/number keys normaly!

E2) Any thoughts of supporting multiple displays? Of course not allow for being connected on the same port (duh!), but why not someone use a parallel port VFD, together with a DiNovo MediaPad and even together with some USB LCD? Initialy probably it would just "clone" the same text on all displays, but later even some prioritization or something could be added. Maybe just allowing multiple instanses of the plugin could do the trick? It would be a nice feature.

E3) I was happy to see that this plugin allows for mapping characters (and it works well). But what about allowing BITMAPPED characters for displays that support it? (I did this with a Meedio plugin, and it replaced the few Greek characters that are different from the latin alphabet, with bitmapped alternatives)

[F. MyTV]

F1) Well is says "failed to start timeshifting, unable to create graph". I know this has happened before to some people, but the weird thing here is that I DID SEE TV FINE and then this happened without me touching anything (I think). Help?

F2) Why there is no "fine tune" in the tuner?

F3) Why this is not full frequency scan in the tuner? (i.e. not select a country)

[G. MYPROGRAMS]
My programs is a great plugin, but there are some things that really need to change.

G1) Most major change and more important. Ability to get items from MYPROGRAMS tree and put them in HOME tree. That would be great. Now everything needs to be under the central MYPROGRAMS tree. Maybe this could happen if multiple instanses (with different configurations) could be inserted in Home menu?

...well... that is all for now :D

Thank you for reading this. This is a great piece of open source software. PLEASE help or guide me to the appropriate people that can help. (and don't let me having writen all the above in vain) :lol:

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
don't think it will be very difficult

Those that feel they are in a position to comment on the difficulty of implementing a particular piece of functionality really should just get on and do it IMO. Not a coder I hear you say?!?!? Hrmmm... how do you justify commenting on the level of complexity then? The Windows Mixer API is amongst the most poorly documented and unpleasant to use of them all but it looks like we have someone here that can handle it so fingers crossed that much of the above may be fixed soon :D.

Hey ho to all my buddies in MP land :).

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Smirnuff!!

< said as they used to call out in the most friendly way to Norm Peterson in the TV series "Cheers" >

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    sorry if I was misunderstood, it's just that Girder does it all those years (I don't remember exactly how you configure the exact property - but I will look and get back to you if you think it will help)

I remember that I found some "code" that I then used in Girder. I don't remember if I saw it in Graphedit, in some system properties or what. I will look though.

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    there, you see?

SPDIF.JPG

many people would love that in MP
    if I could do it, believe me I would

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    NLS

Too many questions and not enough answers ,but i'll try some of them

A1 it's a time consuming thing and waiting to be added.

A2 waiting to be added.

A3 Powerscheduler plugin (no activity home screen enables it once setup in configuration\plugins).

A4 Try installing FFDshow.

A5 Nothing, remember htpc only rarely rebooted, normally standby\hibernate operation

A6 If it is so simple please talk to the Devs on the IRC.

B1 This is Windows default. but can be modified for individual systems.

C1 Again IRC chat

C2 Well volunteered :wink:

C3 You may be happier with the home basic screen.

C4 As Above.

C5 As Above.

C6 As Above

D1 Untick the radio station in configuration\radio.

D2 Hmmm Do not know.

E's Not using external display so cannot help on that one yet, but hoping too soon.

F1 this is a subject all on its own and needs its own post, but search the hardware support section first.

F2 Why.

F3 Why waste time looking for something that is not there.

G1 IRC chat again.

8)

smnnekho

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2006
    Germany
    NLS said:
    A2) Sheduling is missing from MP functionality. Ability to perform specific tasks in certain times/intervals etc. Like updating EPG WITHOUT using the preset scripts (but by running some custom file we want), or even for running WebEPG.

you could use as well the windows sheduling service or at least the myPrograms plugin

NLS said:
    A3) Timer. Probably as a plugin, ability to shutdown (program or machine) based on a timeout or a specific time. Ability to cancel it too of course!

do you mean like shutting down after a recording is done? (this would be the only thinkable use for me]
    --> already possible by the way

NLS said:
    A4) Video doesn't play! I select the video I want and nothing happens. In fact MP seems to freeze for a while, but then everything is back to normal. I tried Intervideo CODECs.

what format are the videos in? be aware that eg Divx codec must be installed to play divx-files... are the files playing in WMP?

NLS said:
    A5) Huge delay when MP startups, when it writes "loading skin". What is wrong?

since MP is designed to be a 24/7 HTPC frontend this surely is not the greatest issue to fight atm.

NLS said:
    A6) Run external programs directly from a menu item! (not submenus etc.), it is so simple, yet it cannot be done in MP! - See also G below.

this is requested by a lot of people, so if this would be easy it would already be done! so i assume it is not.

NLS said:
    C2) Who maintains the Greek translation? How? How can I help? It is not complete at all.

you could edit the strings.xml in your language folder for your own goodness. there is also a place to upload it when it's finished and theres also a language file editor available.

NLS said:
    C3) Within Home plugin, I cannot change labels!!! I click where it says "Button Text", edit the entry, but it changes it back! I don't touch anything else (like the plugin name), so why this happens? I cannot name my menu choices as I want?

you can edit those also by editing your stings.xml in your language folder!

NLS said:
    C5) In Home plugin, I cannot understand what those entries do: fix scroll bars, noscroll submenus (when I select this it adds some spaces in submenu entries...), topbar2 in submenus, no topbar in submenus... what these things do? I cannot understand.

fix scrollbars means, that they don't move while scrolling and the topbar menas, that the topbar is not anly appearing in home but also in submenus... mymusic etc...

NLS said:
    C6) In Home plugin, sometimes if I move items around, they are duplicated MULTIPLE times and I have to erase the clones! It really duplicates the entries (it is not just visual problem), because if I close Home configuration and reopen it, I see all the new clones again.
    well, maybe you screwed sth. up in config<-> homeplugin.

NLS said:
    D1) VERY WEIRD. When I close MP and load it again, the last FM station selected plays by itself! This happens even if I stop it and quit. If I reload MP it starts the station AGAIN and I have to stop it again! Why? This is a major problem! Everytime I start MP it plays radio and I have to press "stop" again! Help.

Is Autostart TV activated in setup? i've had similar issues hence

NLS said:
    F3) Why this is not full frequency scan in the tuner? (i.e. not select a country)
    afaik there is ???

well... some impressions i had when i read your post.

somehow it sounds a bit offensive in my ears, so please don't forget that all the MP-"authorities" doing this in their FREE time, and for FREE.

further more it sounds like you're complaining about some things, that i never heard anyone asking for, so you should start a request before complaining that sth. isn't there.

you won't be helped so much with such a thread, because the right way would be
    1) search the forum of course for similar issues.
    2) divide it to: Bugs; requests; plugins etc... and post it seperated in the according forum section with a header that let everyone know what's the deal.

i went through a hard time getting behind all the things in MP too, but i'm on a good way, so just keep on it.

STSC

Portal Pro
    December 4, 2004
    Germany
    NLS said:

Can be done with PVR Scheduler

NLS said:

PVR Scheduler also includes a Sleeptimer function.

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Paranoid Delusion said:

thank you for your reply soul-brother (based on your nickname :D )

A4 - I have FFDShow installed just don't like to use it (always found it sucks resources without much advantage for my display) - in any case I played with the codecs a bit and I think I can play video now

A6 - thanks I will talk to them (it must be simple to just execute)

B1 - how?

C3 - ? No thanks. :) I don't like the basic screen at all. I just want to label my menu items as I like.

D1 - Aaah, never realised what this tick was for.

F2 - Because some channels are really IN position here in Greece and need to fine tune a bit.

F3 - See F2.

Thanks man. :)

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    smnnekho said:

A2 - I can't see how MyPrograms is related to scheduling. Yes I could use Windows scheduler, I just asked for integration.

A3 - No I mean a sleep timer. In fact I found there IS a sleep timer.

A4 - The videos and codecs are fine because this already was my HTPC machine (and all videos in there are playable). But I think I am ok anyway as I said in previous post.

A6 - I don't see how this can be that hard. MyPrograms already does this, it just does it in a way that is not usable by all (I just want to execute a single program so I don't want to go down 1-2 menu depth).

C2 - Thank you I will. So this is where the "Greek" (and any) translation is already? This is usable irrelevant of skin?

C3 - I will! :)

C6 - I don't see how I would do that. It allows you to do only that much.

D1 - I think the guy above had the answer. :)

F1 - No.

For the other comments.

Yes I've been known to sound harsh sometimes, it is just my style. I am fully aware what is happening here (an open source masterpiece, created in some good programmers' free time). Also bear in mind that English is not my mother tongue and it shows (doesn't it?).

There is nothing I complain about. Maybe for things that SEEM simple (without being able to back up the comment, I know), I just "wonder" how come and they are not already here or fixed since MP is among us for 2 years already. Two such examples are custom volume control and direct program execution from a menu item. It's not a complaint (there is no company I can complain to :D ), just my way of wondering...

Finally, believe me I have done a lot of searching in the forum.
    So for example for the "unable to creat graph" I've seen many people with the problem, but very few proposals on what to do. BTW, the weird thing with my case, is that IT DID WORK before and I don't know what stopped it.

Oh, I WILL keep on. I am using it for just 24 hours and ALREADY I have 80% of the functionality I had in Meedio plus a 10% of things I didn't have in Meedio. So the prospects are great. Probably by next week I will have a much better HTPC that I had the last 2 years!

Thank you for your answer. I know it was long, but you have to admin I made it as readable as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom