Project Mayhem 3: Cleanup and more common xml files (1 Viewer)

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi all

I cleaned the xml files for PM3, removed some things, used templates more and so on.

For short, here are the only the xml files for the skin. Would be nice if some of you could play with it, so I / we could prevent that anything is completly broken before i commit the files to svn.

FYI once i commited the files those will be in next release of the skin, so what we find now, won't be in next release.
    Please create a backup of your pm3 skin folder before adding these files.
    If your are using RC2 or a svn before revision 19857 you will have problems with with some video and tv screens, because there was a control which has been removed from code in that revision and the xml does not contain it anymore.

kind regards
    chefkoch

PLEASE keep in mind: I only did some xml cleanup, not more. The complete skin (including concept, gfx......) is great and WAS DONE by HARLEY!!! :D

For infos about the changes in the xml file look at latest ChangeLog.

ToDo list:
    - record buttons
    - myEmulators plugin
    - myFilms plugin
    - some fixes for TVSeries

Help is appreciated, if some of you already modified some of the listed skin files to use them on your machine, it's now time to attach them here to this thread, after checking the file it will go in.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello chefkoch,
    For short, here are the only the xml files for the skin. Would be nice if some of you could play with it, so I / we could prevent that anything is completly broken before i commit the files to svn.
    I installed SVN 19936 and then replaced the xml files. So far everything looks ok. Videotext is displayed correctly in the main window together with a little TV screen, however, when you select fullscreen all you get is a fullscreen TV picture, while I would expect to see a fullscreen videotext. Now I don't know whether this is on purpose or a glitch.

One comment about the homescreen: The yellow squares that depict the menu entry selection are animated, they are slowly flashing. Although it looks nice I think that it reduces the useability, a solid color without animation might be better to grab the active selection without any delay. But this is probably more a matter of personal taste.

Regards, Johannes

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OK, here is something:
    TV | Recordings. When displayed as "small icons" the description of the selected recording is shown in the lower third of the screen. When the display is changed to "list" the description is still showed and overlays the underlying list elements (see screenshot).

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OK, here is something:
    TV | Recordings. When displayed as "small icons" the description of the selected recording is shown in the lower third of the screen. When the display is changed to "list" the description is still showed and overlays the underlying list elements (see screenshot).

Could you please replace the file with the attached one and see if the glitch is gone?

Harley

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi all

I cleaned the xml files for PM3, removed some things, used templates more and so on.

FYI once i commited the files those will be in next release of the skin, so what we find now, won't be in next release.
    If your are using RC2 or a svn before revision 19857 you will have problems with with some video and tv screens, because there was a control which has been removed from code in that revision and the xml does not contain it anymore.

kind regards
    chefkoch

Changes so far:
    common position, animation for button group on left side
    removed posX, posY, width, height, alignY from buttons which are in button group on left side
    removed texture defines, width, height and textcolor defines from toggle buttons, those are already in references.xml
    most (all) screens are using common.window.xml
    increased font size in several places, because texts were not readable

common.time.xml: label ids are all 1 now
    common.time.xml: is used now by BasicHome, Home and HomePlugins
    common.window.xml: move itemcount label to the right
    common.window.xml: increased size for itemcount to 13
    references.xml: added default font size for textboxscrollup control
    myrecordedtv.xml: fixed an incorrect onup value for a button
    mytvseries: added working skin file, with fanart support, and a skin file to support download feature

a few tv related xmls: removed 'Number of Files Label' with controlID 12, which was always invisible and is obsolete since svn

Hi chefkoch,

nice, work.
    The only thing, i not realy like are the clean up´s. This clean up of a skin , make sens to hold the xml´s clean, by using stuff from reference or commons.
    But it is allways better to have the whole things like pos y, pos y, high, and wide and so on in the current xml.
    Why ? If you will change something in a screen file, you have all in the current screen.xml and can change then anything from there. If you have not all in, you must allways search the relevated stuff in the referencs or common files and past and copy it before in, mostly if you will change something only in one file.
    So because MP has no Problem if the postions or other stuff are in the reference and the same also in the current xml. So why should we make us more work then we need. A other point is to have a complete overview in the current xml, without allways looking in commons or reference.

Greetings Harley

Harley

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello chefkoch,
    I installed SVN 19936 and then replaced the xml files. So far everything looks ok. Videotext is displayed correctly in the main window together with a little TV screen, however, when you select fullscreen all you get is a fullscreen TV picture, while I would expect to see a fullscreen videotext. Now I don't know whether this is on purpose or a glitch.

One comment about the homescreen: The yellow squares that depict the menu entry selection are animated, they are slowly flashing. Although it looks nice I think that it reduces the useability, a solid color without animation might be better to grab the active selection without any delay. But this is probably more a matter of personal taste.

Regards, Johannes

Hi Johannes,

The yellow squares that depict the menu , starts allways the animation without any delay. So if you grab the active selection you have for better useability, allways the sqare by changing without delay. The animation with the delay flashing start allways only after a time nothing is changed.

Greetings Harley

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Could you please replace the file with the attached one and see if the glitch is gone?
    I exchanged the file - "list" view is unfotunately still showing the detail screen.

Another thing that seems not fully ok is TV recording behavior.
    • The red dot is too large and not centered relative to the line (screenshot 15-42-50).
    • When you select an entry in the TV guide for recording you can no longer set additional time before and after the TV show that you want to record, the respective menu items can't be selected.
    • In the TV guide there is a 2nd red dot that appears when you highlight the to-be-recorded programme (screenshot 15-42-18)
    Looking at 15-42-50 you can also get the impression that the menu entries appear to be vertically shifted relative to the background, but this could be an optical effect only.

The animation with the delay flashing start allways only after a time nothing is changed.
    I realize this, however, I would prefer to have no animation at all but a solid coloring instead. Again, this is my personal preference, others may see this differently.
    Anyway red would be better visible than yellow and I therefore propose to change the menu selection color from yellow to red.

Thanks for the good work,
    Johannes

P.S.: Is Harley's BlueMode version taking the same xml's?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When you select an entry in the TV guide for recording you can no longer set additional time before and after the TV show that you want to record, the respective menu items can't be selected.
    This issue is apparently related to the latest SVN, as reported here.

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi all

kind regards
    chefkoch

Changes so far:
    common position, animation for button group on left side
    removed posX, posY, width, height, alignY from buttons which are in button group on left side
    removed texture defines, width, height and textcolor defines from toggle buttons, those are already in references.xml
    most (all) screens are using common.window.xml
    increased font size in several places, because texts were not readable

common.time.xml: label ids are all 1 now
    common.time.xml: is used now by BasicHome, Home and HomePlugins
    common.window.xml: move itemcount label to the right
    common.window.xml: increased size for itemcount to 13
    references.xml: added default font size for textboxscrollup control
    myrecordedtv.xml: fixed an incorrect onup value for a button
    mytvseries: added working skin file, with fanart support, and a skin file to support download feature

a few tv related xmls: removed 'Number of Files Label' with controlID 12, which was always invisible and is obsolete since svn

Hi chefkoch,

nice, work.
    The only thing, i not realy like are the clean up´s. This clean up of a skin , make sens to hold the xml´s clean, by using stuff from reference or commons.
    But it is allways better to have the whole things like pos y, pos y, high, and wide and so on in the current xml.
    Why ? If you will change something in a screen file, you have all in the current screen.xml and can change then anything from there. If you have not all in, you must allways search the relevated stuff in the referencs or common files and past and copy it before in, mostly if you will change something only in one file.
    So because MP has no Problem if the postions or other stuff are in the reference and the same also in the current xml. So why should we make us more work then we need. A other point is to have a complete overview in the current xml, without allways looking in commons or reference.

Greetings Harley
    K, because you did not replied to my pm, i wrote you a few weeks ago, even if it was only related to a few plugins, i thought you don't care.
    You are right, with the fact that it is hard to change only one thing which will affect then so much others, but having all in every skin file has the risk to have inconsistencies, and i don't expect that the skin will need huge rework or changes in future.
    To be honest you did really great work with this skin. The only reason why i wanted to cleanup/work on it, is that i like that skin so much and wanted it to be perfect, especially of common animations and location of most elements, and that i wanted to share with others.

If you really think we should have all in every xml, we can simply revert the changes, won't be a big thing.

regards
    chefkoch

Harley

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Chefkoch,

..have test your changes now and all is working well :)

Many thanks for all your Work :D

Greetings Harley

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom