Prude MP cardsharing policy (1 Viewer)

Spif

Portal Member
January 10, 2006
Falun
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi.

I noticed the good discussion related to cardsharing recently. Unfortunately that thread was closed.

What I don't understand is why MediaPortal has to more prude about this than what the actual digital-tv providers require. All I want to do is to have 2 DVB tuners in my HTPC while using one subscription card for both of them. I can go to any electronics store here in Sweden and buy a dual tuner PVR that is certified by the digital-tv provider and get such functionality legally. Now, MediaPortal can do lots of fancy things but does not provide this basic functionality. Why? If it was hard or had not been done yet I could understand that. The developers have my full respect. But, when it seems to be just because an open source project decides to be more strict (with regard to cardsharing) than commericial products, I can't really figure that one out.

Anyway, I don't like piracy but I am all for local cardsharing within a single computer.

Just my opinion...

chenks

Portal Pro
May 22, 2006
Scotland
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
the difference is the dual tuner PVR doesn't allow you to watch 2 encrypted channels at the same time using 1 card.

Spif

Portal Member
January 10, 2006
Falun
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
No, but it allows me to record one encrypted channel and at the same time watch another encrypted channel. That's all I need.

chenks

Portal Pro
May 22, 2006
Scotland
Home Country
but the PVR doesn't decrpyt the recording until you watch it.. so you need the card in the box to watch the recording.

it's still doesn't allow you to watch 2 at the same time.

there's no point arguing about it, it ain't gonna happen.

besides, MP is open source. if you want it, write the code yourself !

chenks

Portal Pro
May 22, 2006
Scotland
Home Country
from what i believe.... unless you run a card server, you can only decrypt one stream at any one time. hence you could watch 2 encrpyted channels at the same time (or watch one and record one).

running a card server gets round that, but the legality of it is slightly dubious, and almost always against the T&C's of the broacaster.

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Something else to consider:

The people who make the closed box PVRs probably -
a) paid the cable-tv providers for the ability to do so and the certification (not possible for open-source projects)
b) they're closed-boxed. No one can *easily* reverse-engineer that and do more dubious things with it, as you can with an open-source project.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom