Purevideo Causing Problems..? (1 Viewer)

Elf

Portal Pro
June 8, 2005
UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have tracked a relatively frequent bluescreening down to the nVidia Purevideo decoder.
I was seeing bluescreens in MP after anything from 2mins to 2hrs use, but one day they seemed to disappear. I put it down to my installation of the latest version and went merrily on my way.

It turns out my trial of the Purevideo decoder had expired and one of the others was being used in its place - and when I purchased the retail version of purevideo and reinstated it - hey presto, bluescreens were back!

I tried running with and without the Purevideo decoder and it's definitely to blame - using any other decoder and I can happily watch TV/recordings for hours at a time with no problem, switch to Purevideo and it's like watching a timebomb - I just know it's gonna blow at any time.

Sadly, Purevideo gives me by far the best picture quality - especially noticable in sports and with horizontal "tickers".

Has anyone else experienced this with Purevideo, and is there a known patch or fix of any kind?

If anyone's interested, the bluescreen is a generic STOP code 7.

davej00

Portal Pro
March 22, 2006
UK
mmm. Ive been running PureVideo with no problems for months. I use an OEM version and have recently upgraded to the latest version off their website.

Its always worth uninstalling completly [check directyory gone etc] and then re-install.

- Dave

BTW What is the full text of the bluescreen ?

Elf

Portal Pro
June 8, 2005
UK
Home Country
Since PureVideo gets more from your GFX card I suspect it's a temperature problem. Is your case well cooled ?

I did wonder about that - it's an SFF case and cooling could possibly be an issue. That said, it sometimes bluescreens after just two minutes from cold, sometimes it can run for an hour before crashing. If I restart after it's just bluescreened, I might still get another hour out of it before it does it again..

I'd need to revisit it to get the full text of the bluescreen. If it's genuinely helpful I can post it here later tonight. I do remember that the error code is 0x07 and the other parameter values are all zeroes, if that helps.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Elf

Similar problem, but found why my pc freezing needing reboot (could be a minute or an hour), was caused by using Nvidia Purevideo, now using WinDVD and no problems.

Have updated my Version in the last week and wondering if some corruption has taken place on installing, because if i uninstall, and reboot get a nice green screen telling that the Nvidia card is missing one of it's driver files.

reinstalling driver alone does not solve my problem, you need to reinstall Purevideo to prevent green screen.

So unless I can come up with some solution, May be time for Norton Ghost to do its thing.

Not an overheating Problem. Card at a nice cool 31C

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Elf

Solved Mine, Uninstall purevideo, uninstall nvidia driver, reboot into safe mode (F8), cancel hardware installation wizard, Run Driver cleaner pro (free) follow the instructions in the help file, empty trashcan, reboot and reinstall Nvidia driver and then purevideo.

Hope that does the trick for you.

Elf

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2005
    UK
    Home Country
    Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Would you believe in the two hours I had available last night to make a note of the bluescreen text, it didn't crash!
    GPU temp was at 54C - a tad high perhaps?

December 28, 2005
    Sydney
    Home Country
    I had a similar problem. Have you tried un-ticking “use exclusive Direct X mode” in general setup. It fixed my crashing problem but now I get a small amount of tearing (You take the good with the bad) on sum block color movements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom