Q: TVE3 = poorer PQ for (HW)analogue card users? (1 Viewer)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Ref.: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/tv_quality_via_bitrate-t22251.html
    Aikon said:
    When running in MCE 2005 the bitrate goes from around 6 to 8000. When using TV Server the bitrate is about 3-4000 = VERY LOW = Poor video quality.
    Diehard2 said:
    I'm the person that implemented the quality control for the Hauppauge cards. They do not behave well above the bitrate that is currently being used. I believe the flaw is in a third party library the tv server uses, but I won't have time for several months to track that down. I don't even know if it can be fixed. It doesn't matter how fast your computer is. At bitrates higher than the current settings, your tv will significantly stutter. If recording at a high quality is important to you, I suggest you stick with TVE 2. Sorry.

Does this mean that analogue users (an therefor STB-users) are "doomed" to use TVE2 if the want good PQ?

So we will never be able to use newer versions of MP, since 0.2.3 is the last one that will include TVE2?

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Actually there where a bug in the drivers from hauppauge that didn't allow to set the bitrate correct, so selection via TVE3 didn't work, dunno how that is now, been busy with dvb-s see if i can find some time & test again on how it works now.

Regards
    Roy

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Have you tried to open GraphEdit & selected encoder filter for your hauppauge card & adjusted the "default" to 8000 - 12000 vbr?

Regards
    Roy

diehard2

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi guys,

I fixed that awhile ago, and as far as I know high bitrates are still problematic. Sorry sprag, but you may be out of luck. I'll look at it again shortly.

~ Steve

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Thanks for answering.

Just to be clear: I am running TVE2, as I see no need for TVE3 ATM (esp. if it results in poorer PQ due to lower bitrates).

I was just fearing for the future when TVE2 is "dead" (after 0.2.3.0-final) - for all is STB-users.

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi,
    Have you tried to open GraphEdit & selected encoder filter for your hauppauge card & adjusted the "default" to 8000 - 12000 vbr?

Regards
    Roy

Roy, this mean that just modifing this value on GraphEdit will allow TV3 to enable my HVR-4000 analog tuner and then scan positively for all channels ?

Simone

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    1: DL GraphEdit - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GraphEdit
    2: Unzip and open graphedit (GraphEdt)
    (Cut 'n paste + edit)
    Using GraphEdit, go to: Graph > Insert Filters > Multiplexer Devices > Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II Encoder and Insert Filter. (Or simular!!!)
    Then right click on the filter and select properties. Under the "Hauppauge ECP Video" tab change the Bitrate Average to "6000", the Peak to "12000"

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Spragleknas,

this is only for the poor quality under TV3 or also for fixing the analog channel scan empty issue ?

Simone

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom