QAM Support for US ATSC tuners (2 Viewers)

jozzy

Portal Member
July 3, 2007
NY, NY
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Started on: 2007-07-02
last update:

Summary:
Request for US ATSC QAM Support

Area:
TV Tuning

Description:
Hauppauge has released a nice card with a built-in QAM tuner. QAM is used in the US for HDTV channels. Many US cable companies broadcast local ATSC channels in the clear using QAM.
http://hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_hvr1600.html

I recently purchased one of these cards and would be more than willing to assist in testing code or anything else necessary. I am not a programmer but will do my best to help the cause!

:D

wduembeg

Portal Member
June 21, 2007
Home Country
Same Request here I have an AirStar HD5000 which also supports QAM and ATSC. Also willing to help, I do have experience in programming mostly embedded stuff.

:D 2

jozzy

Portal Member
July 3, 2007
NY, NY
Home Country
Thanks for putting this out there! So, I gave it a shot but TV Server does not find any channels when it does the QAM scan. I suspect it is probably not scanning all the US QAM frequencies.

I could not find a file to edit the QAM frequencies to scan, does one exist? I found this post on a gbpvr forum that discusses the US QAM frequencies, http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=208906&postcount=118. It looks like my cableco is using the STD standard.

I also found this one on mythtv, http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Adding_QAM_Channels_For_HDTV_Tuner_Cards.

Another option is the Access Database from my WinTV software, thats the included Hauppauge software for their cards. The DB stores the channels it found along with the frequencies. I am not sure if I can manually add an ATSC channel to TV Server using this info. A sample:
"preferred_name: WABC-HD
preferred_number: 1071
description: Clear QAM Source WABC-HD
freq_actual: 589250
channel: 85"

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    jozzy,

Great I'll look into it.
    In the mentime can you post your TVServer - tv.log file after trying the scan?

Do you know what "physical channels" (frequencies) all your channels are on?
    Currently we scan from 0-99 - should this be higher?

DMAN

jozzy

Portal Member
    July 3, 2007
    NY, NY
    Home Country
    DMAN -

I believe the scan should go up to 135.

I attached the log file as well as a listing of QAM ATSC STD channels for scanning from a gbpvr user, maybe it will help.

jozzy

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Jozzy,

New TVServer scans from 2-134 as per the info you sent me.

Logs look good but no lock :( leave it with me...

DMAN

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Jozzy,

Can you manually add a channel
    In TVServer add a channel go to the ATSC tab and enter the Phyical Channel, Frequency, Video Pid & Audio Pid and the modulation of 256QAM of a channel you know that works.
    Leave the rest at their defaults.
    Try it out please

DMAN

jozzy

Portal Member
    July 3, 2007
    NY, NY
    Home Country
    DMAN -

I am uncertain what the Video PID and Audio PID refers to. Do you know where I could find that info? Also, which field should I put the frequency in? I do not see a frequency field.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    DMAN -

I am uncertain what the Video PID and Audio PID refers to. Do you know where I could find that info? Also, which field should I put the frequency in? I do not see a frequency field.

OK ignore that for now.

Please try build 15394.

DMAN

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom