MLH01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi All.

I'm looking to upgrade my HTPC, which currently has a dual DVB-T tuner (Nova-T 500). It works reasonably well, but sometimes I need more than 2 tuners.

Has anyone tried this PCI-E quad DVB-T tuner?

From what it says on the web site, it looks like a good all-in-one solution for DVB-T and DAB+. The only potential downside is the requirement to be in an area with relatively strong DVB-T signals.

Thanks,
    MLH01.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi MLH01

I haven't got personal experience with that particular device, but I do have experience dealing with other DigitalNow devices (Quattro S, Dabby) and Renura. I can't speak highly enough of Renura's support. The Quad is currently only partially supported in MP (the FM and DAB/DAB+ modes are not yet supported - I hope to add that for 1.3.0). The only slightly out-of-the-ordinary requirement that I know of is that you do need clean and strong signal. Otherwise the 4 DVB-T tuners should just work out of the box.

mm
    :)

MLH01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks mm for your response.

I will give it a try. If MP eventually supports DAB/FM (as you hinted at) then it will be a bonus :)

With signal level/quality, I have a TV signal amp lying around if necessary. I bought it thinking that I was in a poor-signal area only to find I didn't have a proper digital-ready antenna :eek: After installing a digital antenna, the signal improved.

MLH01.

cunnox

Portal Member
    October 3, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Mine works fine, can't speak to signal strength though as I can see the transmission tower from my house.

markus_g

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2006
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Mine worked ok with my old TV antenna but now works great with my new antenna which has much more signal. The only thing I found was I needed to add a 5 sec delay for TV card detection in TV server configuation under the general tab. Without this the TV server didn't always find the 4 tunners.
    It will be great if the DAD+ is added to mediaportal. (y)

MLH01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I installed mine last weekend (more than 1 year on!) after needing to clean-install Win7, MePo etc due to a problem with FTR 1.7.0.0 that ended up corrupting the database :( Probably overkill, but it is working reasonably well now.

I also set a 5 sec delay on the card to be sure the tuners were recognised after resuming from sleep. All 4 tuners were recognised and worked flawlessly in the TVSetup stress test (a great addition to TVSetup in v1.2.3).

I get a few pixelated frames and squeaks on the speakers from time to time, which could be due to the distance from the towers. I will tinker around a bit more to try and get rid of that problem.

Overall I am quite happy with the quad tuner :)

MLH01

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom