Quality Analog Tuner (1 Viewer)

maz11

Portal Member
September 26, 2006
Hi
I unfortunately bought a happaugge 500 dual tuner card. It was the B version which has the crappy chipset. I tried using a third party tool that supposedly helps, it made it viewable but had wavy lines that were just to noticeable on most channels. I am looking for a new Analog tuner, I prefer hardware than software but my box is powerful enough for software. I will probably keep my 500 in it and just use them for viewing TV. I would like a nice one for recording. Has anyone used anything from ATI 550 Theatre card, or Nvideo Dual tuner? What works well with Media Portal for recording quality and also has TV out. Im kinda afraid of Happaugge now, I want something that is not gonna be a hassle to get working, but also has enough quality

Thanks for all the advice

-Matt

P.S. I just searched Ebay and they have plenty of cheap VGA to composite or svideo so that problem is solved.

Flerbizky

Portal Pro
July 18, 2005
Copenhagen
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
What version of the Hauppauge drivers are you using with your 500 ?... I've found that using the right driver version make a world of difference. I'm using version 2.0.24.23025 and am quite happy with the result. Don't know if my card is A or B though...

[Edit:] Also, what motherboard are you using. TV Out is built into the 6100 so I'm wondering if you're lacking some kind of bracket with the right connectors....

Cheers,
Steffen

maz11

Portal Member
September 26, 2006
Area: Media Portal Program
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.0.4 (2006-08-11)
MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo
Windows Version: Windows XP (SP2)
.NET CLR Version: 2.0.50727
DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904 (9.0c)
Audio Codec: -
Video Codec: -
CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+
Memory: 959 MB
Motherboard: GA-M55PLUS-S3G (Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.)
TV Card Model: - Happauge 500
TV Card Type: Hardware
TV Card Driver: -
Video Card Model: Nvidia Geforce 6100 (256 MB)
Video Card Driver: -
Video Card Resolution: 1280x1024
Video Render Type: -
Audio Card Model: Realtek High Definition Audio
Audio Card Driver: -

As far as the Driver, I'm not near computer So I can't get the specific verison, I already went home for thanksgiving.

I am having the same problem as listed in this forum
http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33675

When I use the LNA application provided lower on the page it makes it viewable but I still get Wavy lines like posted in the News cast picture halfway down.

Thanks for your help everything is appreciated

-Matt

mdsflyer

Portal Pro
November 14, 2005
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi there, Just checking but are you saying you want a TV Tuner card with TV OUT, if so, why?

Cheers
m

maz11

Portal Member
September 26, 2006
Not anymore, worst case I will get a vga to svideo or composite adapter. I will edit my above post to reflect this change after find very inexpensive adapters. My current solution has only onboid video with no svideo or composite output, but I will just get an adapter

-Matt

mdsflyer

Portal Pro
November 14, 2005
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Are you sure your problems are caused by the tuner card and not the graphics cards output? My hauppauge 150 gives very good results and judging by the posts here i am not alone. Your could go with an add on graphics card, i have a geforce fx5200, fanless, s-video out, very cheap and gives a great picture with SD on a CRT 29" Sony television. If you could try a card with you existing setup to see if that made a difference then you could get an answer one way or another for free. Cheers m

maz11

Portal Member
September 26, 2006
Nothing else looks fuzy besides media portal TV display, and during setup I have been outputing to a regular monitor and not a TV. I am having the same problems as listed in this forum
http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33675
I have the crappy chipset in my 500 card. I have tried what they have said in the forum link i posted above and to no avail. That is why I am looking for a quality reliable card that works well with media portal. I would prefer a dual tuner card, but I can go with a single one for now.

-Matt

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Matt,

Just read the link you provided for the snapstream forums. Thats a really interresting problem you guys are having. Im using a PVR-150MCE and was debating on getting a PVR-500MCE, but after looking at that, I may just hold off a bit.

I have a PVR-150MCE and the picture quality is great. I still think Hauppauge is one of the best TV tuner manufacturers, but i can understand how you would be a little leery of another hauppauge card.

From what I've heard/read, the ATI 550 theatre based cards give a great picture quality, but support outside of MP and XP Media Centre is non-existant unlike the hauppauge brand. Driver support from ATI is also a little lacking compared to the Hauppauge line.

My suggestion would be to go with a PVR-150 MCE and make sure you get one with a Phillips tuner - not the samsung one. from the link you provided, that looks like what the problem is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom