Quality control tab in TV Server Configuration question. (1 Viewer)

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hello everyone,

So I am trying to understand the advantages and disadvantages to the quality control settings on the TV server configuration tab. I see that there are 3 Bitrate modes. Constant, Variable rate average, and variable rate peak. Can someone tell me how these compare in regards to performance and file size? Dose the constant give the largest files, but the best picture? Does the variable bit peak give the smallest files but image quality is sacrificed?

Then there is the bitrate for playback and recording. How do these factor into the above performance variables? I am encoding an analog cable signal.

If this is answered else ware and I have missed it in my search please let me know.

Thank you very much.

Steve

The Dave

Portal Member
    November 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Where is the quality control tab at? I just checked my TV server config and don't see it. FWIW I'm running 1.2.0.

Iwen

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Quality control tab in TV Server Configuration question.

Next to the channel scan tab with a analog tv-card

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    Here is a screen shot. I want to have the highest quality recording and don't care about size. Which should I set it at?

Thanks
    Steve

Attachments

• Quality control.JPG
      Quality control.JPG
      99.5 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi everyone

I know this thread is almost a year old, however I don't like to leave threads unanswered. The documentation for these settings is... well, completely missing. I've provided an explanation over -->here<-- from what I can see in the code.

nzdreamer55: for the highest quality, go with constant bitrate and use the "high" preset. That gives you 100% of what the encoder is capable of.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom