Question about movie catalog - coming from MyMovies (1 Viewer)

gshipley

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 17, 2008
    First off -- let me just say WOW on media portal. I installed in last weekend and loved it. I will be transitioning my HPTC and from MyMovies on Vista to exclusively using MP. I am running a 7tb file server for dvd, mkv, and bluray content.

Question 1:
    I currently have around 500 movies in the MyMovies database (added via their collection management software). I would like to be able to import these somehow but am willing to enter all my movies again if that is the best method for getting them in MP. I am also interested in using DVD Profiler if I can import from there into MP. I plan on using the View Type "Titles" because of how I have my movies distributed across my unRaid array.

Question 2:
    In myMovies I use the "category" feature to label films as "Kids" so that my children can quickly look at only movies they are interested in. How can I accomplish this in MP? Can I add a new main menu item called "Kids" that maybe launches a seperate Videos section or something? Or maybe just blank out all Genres and manually add the 100 kids movies to a "kids" genre?

Question 3:
    Being so new to MP, should I just use the built in "Videos" section or should I look at installing a plugin that was built for large movie collections? Maybe myFilms or something?

gshipley

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 17, 2008
    Check out Moving Pictures.
    Later today or tomorrow there will be new version out, where you can test it on your library.

Yeah, thats good stuff! I will for sure be checking that out. I gotta wait for the .iso and .img automounter though.

Do you know if it supports any type of categories? If not, I may need to dust off my C# skills.

zebons

Portal Pro
    January 2, 2006
    First off -- let me just say WOW on media portal. I installed in last weekend and loved it. I will be transitioning my HPTC and from MyMovies on Vista to exclusively using MP. I am running a 7tb file server for dvd, mkv, and bluray content.

Question 1:
    I currently have around 500 movies in the MyMovies database (added via their collection management software). I would like to be able to import these somehow but am willing to enter all my movies again if that is the best method for getting them in MP. I am also interested in using DVD Profiler if I can import from there into MP. I plan on using the View Type "Titles" because of how I have my movies distributed across my unRaid array.

Question 2:
    In myMovies I use the "category" feature to label films as "Kids" so that my children can quickly look at only movies they are interested in. How can I accomplish this in MP? Can I add a new main menu item called "Kids" that maybe launches a seperate Videos section or something? Or maybe just blank out all Genres and manually add the 100 kids movies to a "kids" genre?

Question 3:
    Being so new to MP, should I just use the built in "Videos" section or should I look at installing a plugin that was built for large movie collections? Maybe myFilms or something?

You can use MyFilms..
    For that export your MyMovies db into a xml file, You then can use the xxml file with MyMovies. A compatible xml AMC file will be generated. After, you can either use durectly the generated xml file with AMC (no need to do export each time you mods some informations with AMC Software as AMC is diretly compatible with XML format Read.Write) or you can contibue to use MyMovies to manage tour database but in that case you must export it in xml format each time you mod it. You also can import the xml file into other soft if you don't like AMC with same restrictions then MyMovies.
    Another point, with the v4.7.1 coming soon, you can update directly your DB xml wiyhin MP (AMCUpdater integrated) , with other softs than AMC, your mods will be lost as those soft doesn't work with an xml file but a proprietary format. With AMC, all your mods are keep as you work with the same file :p

Question 2 :
    With MyFilms, you can define multi-configuration in the setup . So you can create a specific configuration for kids and you can define it as default so when you enter in the plugin no need to choose the config for your kids, they will see only videos which contains the word kids in category. You can also define only one config and create a new view for Genre=kids.
    You also can protect with a password some config... you can use that if you want that your kids cann't launch some movies within MP....

Iso, img mounting is already managed cy MyFilms.
    MyFilms 4.7.1 add logos, fanart and pictures management...
    You can find a 4.7 beta version on MyFilms French forum here. Becarefull however as it is a beta version, the final 4.7.1 will be uploaded soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom