Question/Frage: What equipment should I buy/how to use it? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan987

November 2, 2008
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hello/Servus all!

I'm new to this forum and hope to one day use the mediaortal on a laptop of mine as a PVR solution :)

I'm currently looking at buying a PVR input device which I can use to feed my digital box receiver into my computer which will then be recorded using a PVR software and outputted onto the TV.

So if I understand everything correctly...

1) there is no way to surpass my digital receiver (set top box) with some computer component? The digital cable receiver gets an encrypted tv signal over my cable connection and unencrypts it, which gets fed to the TV.
It seems that there are Cable Cards, but in Canada non of the cable providers offer them: CableCARD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
furthermore cable card 2.0 specification hasn't yet been implemented which supports Switched Digital Video :(

2) this means that the all feeds that would go to the PVR would have to be intercepted between the HD receiver (set top box) and the TV.

3) The way I see it I could buy either the Hauggauge WinTV-HVR-1950 or the HD-PVR. Are there any other good products out there worth looking at?

4) If I were to use the WinTV-HVR-1950, I would have to connect the HD receiver unit to the TV connection on the 1950. That would mean you go from component output (connected on HD receiver) to coaxial TV cable (for 1950 input). Would this work? Would there be quality loss in either video or audio if you go from component to coaxial? I don't think it would...since it's coming in initially in through this connection...but I'm not sure.
The computer would then output to the TV from VGA to composite (for CRT) or DVI to HDMI(for LCD TV).
The HD receiver is this one: Rogers Digital Cable Explorer 4250HD HDTV Cable Terminal Box DTVSA4250HD in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

5) For non-HD channels you don't need a HD receiver box for your TV. You can get channels 1 to ~58. So this means I could also input another feed into the HVR-1950's RCA (composite) input connectors on the other side of the 1950 unit. Can mediaportal/the 1950 device use two inputs at once? Could I stream the this second input over the UPnP mediaportal plugin? I could then watch non-HD channels in the rest of my house without affecting HD shows that are recording?

Thanks for your help and I hope to be able to use mediaportal!

Vielen Dank und tschüss,

Jonathan

P.S. One last question: Does the scheduling in mediaportal support my cable company's channel schedules so I can record? My cable company is Rogers Cable in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom