Questions about MP1 status - it's been a while... (1 Viewer)

coopers

Portal Pro
November 8, 2005
Adelaide
Home Country
Hi Folks,

Been a while since I checked in on the forums - still using Mediaportal though. (Currently on MP 1.16). I can't seem to see this information documented anywhere:

Is MP1 now officially superseded by MP2? I ask because there are very few skins updated to work with 1.16 (was surprised Maya is broken for example), so it seems this is the case?

Should I switch over?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Is MP1 now officially superseded by MP2?
    No. MP1 and MP2 are two separate products.

Should I switch over?
    Only you can answer that. You know 1.16 and could give 2.1 a try to build your own personal impression. If you'd like to test it, all you need to do is to stop and deactivate the MP1 TvServer service before installing 2.1. To switch back to 1.16, deactivate the MP2 Server service and reactivate the MP1 service.

coopers

Portal Pro
    November 8, 2005
    Adelaide
    Home Country
    Only you can answer that. You know 1.16 and could give 2.1 a try to build your own personal impression. If you'd like to test it, all you need to do is to stop and deactivate the MP1 TvServer service before installing 2.1. To switch back to 1.16, deactivate the MP2 Server service and reactivate the MP1 service.
    Fair enough - but what is the status - has development now scaled down on MP1 (especially given the state of the skins)?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    there are very few skins updated to work with 1.16 (was surprised Maya is broken for example)
    Well... MP is a volunteer project. It seems to me that people volunteer to work on those aspects of MP that interest them, or on those aspects that they want to use themselves. Fixes for the Maya skin are most likely to be provided by someone who wants to use the Maya skin. Can you really expect people who have no interest in using the Maya skin to spend the time identifying the problems and providing the fixes?

I see from your details that you are a software engineer. I am too, but I will not be contributing to the MP core programming because I have no skills in the programming languages used (C++ and C#). But I wanted something that none of the existing skins provide -- a large live TV thumbnail (I want a thumbnail that is big enough to follow what is happening). So I selected a skin that I liked (the classic "Default Wide" skin), and changed that to include a large live TV thumbnail. Prior to this I had no skin-programming skills -- I learnt as I went along. You could too, if you felt motivated to fix the Maya skin.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom