Quick Summary (1 Viewer)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Following the recent demise of Meedio thought I would check back with MP to see if it is now more suited to my needs than a year ago. I have been searching the forums for most of these answers but without much luck.

ASIO
    Does MP allow output via ASIO at all?

Music Indexes
    I see that views have been incorporated into MP which is great but Meedio had a great facility where you could have the first letter of note showing as a button. eg. for an artist pick list you could have A-Z and then under that you could set it up to show all artist begining with A etc depending on what button you pressed.

MP3 Tags and ordering
    I guess this is related to the above but I want Bob Dylan to appear under D and The Smiths to appear under S etc. In Meedio I achieved this by using the Original Artist and Composer tags. On top of this everyhing is based on the band tag not the artist tag.

All in all I want MP to be able to be able to distinguish between artists and bands (ie. all various artists albums appear under Various Artists when looking at bands and the actual artist when looking at artists) and also to have these sorted correctly.

Manual tags
    In Meedio you can manually edit the music database to add extra fields etc. I see that the views as they are, are limited can I add extra fields (I have setup two extra fields currently to say whether music belongs to me or the misses and whether it belongs to an album, a single or a compilation)

These are really the points that made me go for Meedio in the first place so if someone could fill me in it would be nice :D

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Welcome back. :D

jameson_uk said:
    Music Indexes
    I see that views have been incorporated into MP which is great but Meedio had a great facility where you could have the first letter of note showing as a button. eg. for an artist pick list you could have A-Z and then under that you could set it up to show all artist begining with A etc depending on what button you pressed.

There's a feature in MP that allows typing in characters like typing an SMS on a mobile. i.e. pressing "3" several times rotates between "D", "E" and "F".
    Being in the Artist few for example would show artists starting with "D", "E", etc. You could ylso use the Keyboard for that.

jameson_uk said:
    MP3 Tags and ordering
    I guess this is related to the above but I want Bob Dylan to appear under D and The Smiths to appear under S etc. In Meedio I achieved this by using the Original Artist and Composer tags. On top of this everyhing is based on the band tag not the artist tag.

All in all I want MP to be able to be able to distinguish between artists and bands (ie. all various artists albums appear under Various Artists when looking at bands and the actual artist when looking at artists) and also to have these sorted correctly.

In MP configuration under Music -> Music Database you should check: "Treat Tracks in an individual folder as an album" and "Scan albums for Various Artists", this will list albums with different artists under Various Artists.

"The Smiths" will appear under "Smiths, The", however "Bob Dylan" will still be under "B".
    How should we know that "Bob" should be treated a first name?
    How was Meedio doing that? Special Tags or using already the new id3 v2.4 tags for sorting?

jameson_uk said:
    Manual tags
    In Meedio you can manually edit the music database to add extra fields etc. I see that the views as they are, are limited can I add extra fields (I have setup two extra fields currently to say whether music belongs to me or the misses and whether it belongs to an album, a single or a compilation)

This is something, which is not available.
    There is a thread here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?t=11535 where feature requests for the Music module are collected.

Please post a description, what you would like to have exactly and there are good chances for it to be incorporated.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Welcome back. :D
    Hello 8)

There's a feature in MP that allows typing in characters like typing an SMS on a mobile. i.e. pressing "3" several times rotates between "D", "E" and "F".
    Being in the Artist few for example would show artists starting with "D", "E", etc. You could ylso use the Keyboard for that.
    Will check this out.

In MP configuration under Music -> Music Database you should check: "Treat Tracks in an individual folder as an album" and "Scan albums for Various Artists", this will list albums with different artists under Various Artists.
    I have done this but I have several various artists where the band/orchesta tag is set to varous artists and the artist tag is set to the actual artist. Even with this option ticked, I have setup a view to go Genre => Artist => Album => Track but as soon as I go into a genre I see all the artist tags whether or not they are on a various artists album...

(also whilst I was trying this, I had the album part of this view setup to be sorted by date but I get the feeling MP will not do this??[/quote]

"The Smiths" will appear under "Smiths, The", however "Bob Dylan" will still be under "B".
    How should we know that "Bob" should be treated a first name?
    How was Meedio doing that? Special Tags or using already the new id3 v2.4 tags for sorting?
    I have been using the original artist and composer tags (id v2.x) to store say Dylan, Bob and Smiths, The. I have been using two tags so as to have one for band and one for artists (ie. various artists would appear under v for bands but the artists would appear under the correct letter for artists)[/quote]

This is something, which is not available.
    There is a thread here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?t=11535 where feature requests for the Music module are collected.

Please post a description, what you would like to have exactly and there are good chances for it to be incorporated.
    Will do. Out of interest what type of database is it? (SQL Lite???)

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    hi jameson,

Database is SQLite.

The Original Artist/Band/Composer tags are currently not used by MP.

As for Various Artists:
    yes, the track is found under the Artists name as well, but under Various Artists, you'll see the complete Album.

regards,

Helmut

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom