quicker program loading (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

it would be nice if the essential elements of media portal were pre-loaded upon loading windows. It seems like many other commercial software preload the programs into memory so you can quickly open them when clicking on the shortcut. I suppose i'm asking for standby support.

I think MCE2005 does this too. Have a lil media portal icon on the system tray that could be double clicked on for instant access as well.

AOL is one of those programs that seem to be preloaded as well, when i double click on it, it instantly shows up.

before you start hollering aol n00b or something, i get aol for free.

suggestions? comments?

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    you have to remember that we r an application for HTPC use.
    Not desktop use.

This feature of having us preloaded sounds like a desktop use feature to me.

The time needed to implement this will most likely be used for real htpc features instead.

A

Anonymous

MrMario64 said:
    you have to remember that we r an application for HTPC use.
    Not desktop use.

This feature of having us preloaded sounds like a desktop use feature to me.

The time needed to implement this will most likely be used for real htpc features instead.

this is not a priority, i'm suggesting ideas. However, in mce2k5, it has both desktop and htpc functions. When not using htpc functions, you can go back to desktop and do whatever you'd like to do, surf the net, etc. Why limit the functuality of mediaportal?

Maxtrash, my solution is for quicker mediaportal startup time when you're not using your computer for HTPC use. I'm sure i'm not the only one out here that uses their computer for both HTPC and Desktop functions.

A

Anonymous

all in all, what i'm trying to say is that its unfair & bad to assume
    that every MP user is using it strictly for converting their computers solely for HTPC usage. Obviously, not every user has the luxory of having multiple computers, each designated for a specific function.

Now exclusive HTPC usage may be the goal of some of its users, however there are users out there that just want their pc to have hdtv functionality, whenever they need it.

It's counter productive/intuitive to ignore these users.

A

Anonymous

Basically what you're asking for (in reference to mce) is for mediaportal to minimize to the system tray. Really that's all mce does. Preloading programs (damn you real! / winamp / quicktime / etc etc) are among the stupidest things I've ever seen and I smash them with resounding authority whenever the chance comes up.

A

Anonymous

Meat_PoPsiclez said:
    Basically what you're asking for (in reference to mce) is for mediaportal to minimize to the system tray. Really that's all mce does. Preloading programs (damn you real! / winamp / quicktime / etc etc) are among the stupidest things I've ever seen and I smash them with resounding authority whenever the chance comes up.

if i'm not mistaken winamp spearheaded before aol ate them up, but it is a good feature and convenient. It will help load mp quicker when i'm ready to use it after typing papers, checking email, etc.

A

Anonymous

I cant see the problem, i havent even noticed the load time
    of media portal, means it's not slow.

And most people start mp maybe once a day.

Dst

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    we r not ignoring people,
    we just have limited hands to do the work.
    and this causes us to have priorities.

Pre-loading does not sound like a priority.

However, would minimising to tray be a good alternative for you?

mama

Portal Pro
    May 31, 2004
    Germany
    I agree, that it´s not important for a pure HTPC solution. For all desktop users, just add a shortcut to the autostart folder and set this shortcut to start minimized. That´s at least almost like preloaded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom