Quiet DVD drive? (1 Viewer)

dan_aka_jack

Portal Member
October 21, 2005
London, UK
Hi there,

I've recently build my first HTPC (using MP, of course!). Unfortunately, my current DVD drive is really noisy (and it wont respond to the various methods for restricting the spin speed). So I'm on the market for a new DVD drive.

Ideally, I'd like one with a silver bezel to match my case but I'm more concerned about noise and performance than looks.

Can anyone recommend a DVD drive, please?

I've heard good things about the Pioneer DVR-112D. Can anyone here confirm that it works with MP's "drive speed" setting?

Many thanks,
Jack

petzlux

Portal Pro
March 9, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have a sony dvdr burner, which is just as noisy as all the drives, as it runs at much to high a speed when reading a dvd for example. CD-Bremse didnt work, but I managed to control spin speed with Nero ! Have you tried the Cd Speed throttle included with the Nero Package ?

nfox

Portal Pro
August 22, 2006
London
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I've tried various CD/DVD drives over the past few years, and have found that the NEC and Plextor drives are the quietest I've tested. That's not to say that slowing the speed down doesn't make them quieter still, but if you start with a quiet drive then they can only get quieter as they get slower.

I used to use the Nero drive speed limiter, but that has the disadvantage of always slowing the drive down, whether or not you are in MP, whereas (as far as I can tell, correct me if I'm wrong) limiting the speed with the MP utility means that when you exit MP your drive will run at full speed, which is useful for installing software from CD/DVD etc. Not a show stopper, but makes life easier.

dan_aka_jack

Portal Member
October 21, 2005
London, UK
Hi! Thanks loads for the very swift replies!

Have you tried the Cd Speed throttle included with the Nero Package ?

I've tried three different techniques for slowing down my current (very noisy) DVD drive (none of these techniques had any effect):

1) MediaPortal's DVD-speed settings
2) Nero Drive Speed utility
3) Another DVD-speed utility whose name I can't remember right now! It's a commercial package that also removes FBI warnings and other things.

Thanks,
Jack

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I heard good things about the NEC and Plextor drives too, and since NEC's where the cheapes, I bought one of those. Unfortunately, it was anything but quiet. Might have been the model (Sorry, but I can't remember it right now), but it was very noisy. So I returned it and bought a Plextor PX-810SA (Sata Drive), and it has been running very quiet ever since.

You might get lucky with a NEC (As I said, I have heard alot of good things about them), but mine just wasn't very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom