radeon HD2xxx TV-out black and white only (solution) (1 Viewer)

lsandini

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Kuopio
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hello,

I have bumped into a problem that took me a while to sort out. I built a low-cost HTPC for a friend using an ATI Radeon HD2600PRO, but he is going to use a CRT TV for now.

I connected the card to the TV using the S-video out, S-video cable, SCART adapter, but the image was black and white (brightness signal, but no colour). I appears that my old TV set used for the configuration doesn't support S-video, only composite.

So I used a S-video to composite adapter, unfortunately without success (image still b/w). I ordered then a short adapter cable, designed to be connected to 7-pin mini-DIN TV-out plugs on laptops and gfx card, converting the 7-pin to a 4-pin S-video and composite plugs. Again, no luck, image is still b/w.

The 7-pin TV-out of the Radeon is not standard. It carries the S-video signal on pins 1-3 and 2-4, but composite is not on pins 5-6 (!). The composite signal is on pin 7, and you use pin 2 to ground it.

So I was left with the option of making myself a"composite" cable using pins 7-2 on the TV-out, or ... mix the brightness and color signals of the S-video connectors. As someone suggested elsewhere, shorting pins 3 and 4 with a short copper wire, worked great, and I have now color on my old TV set using S-video :D

Since there are many posts in various forums, most of which remained unanswered or contained hilarious answers, I thought I'd post this here.

... and to be honest, image is quality is awful to say the least using this technique (washed out, uncontrasted, unsaturated but sharp. It's the dirty temporary solution, not one I would recommend for a persistent setup and a CRT TV.

S-VHS1.jpg

Lorenzo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom