RAMDisk for timeshift makes everything else slow (1 Viewer)

whatisk

Portal Pro
May 21, 2007
Brisbane
Home Country
Australia Australia
In order to speed up channel changes I tried setting up a RAMDisk as per this guide in the Hints & Tips section of TV Server.

As I have 2GB RAM, I setup a 1GB RAMDrive as per the guide and channel changing times definitely improved, however, everything else seemed to slow.
Whenever I went to watch a movie, after pressing play, the screen would freeze for 20-30seconds and then the movie would start playing. The same thing happened when I stopped a movie. The whole PC would basically freeze for the same amount of time and then everything would run fine again.

Just wondering if anyone else using a RAMDisk for a timeshift buffer experiences the same thing?
Is there some way around this? For the time being, I've stopped using the RAMDisk as I'd prefer faster movie, etc stopping and starting rather than quicker channel changes.

Should I perhaps have a smaller RAMDisk? I don't pause live TV.

Thanks.

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I'm using 1GB RAMDisk for timeshift buffer files and haven't had this kind of problems.

whatisk

Portal Pro
    May 21, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I'm using 1GB RAMDisk for timeshift buffer files and haven't had this kind of problems.

Thanks for the reply Seco.
    What settings for min/max files, file size, etc are you using in TVServer config?

I have tried setting the size of the RAMDisk to 512MB (used same settings as in the guide except halved the filesize) and so far so good. I probably should have mentioned in the OP that the delay was most noticeable with 720P MKV files (4GB+ filesize), rather than with more standard AVIs.

When I have more time, I will do more playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom