Random wake-up troubles (1 Viewer)

henk99

Portal Pro
October 7, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
For a few weeks now I have been working on a htpc solution in my home. I have it now setup with a dedicated TV server which functions absolutely perfect so far. It's a pc that's on all the time anyway and does it's work 24/7 without probs.

The htpc itself is a different matter. I have built it as a MP client and does good in all areas accept for the fact that it switches on at random occasions and I can't figure out why. Normally the system shuts down from the MP homescreen after 5 minutes. This is working fine I think. At least whenever I test it it does like it should. There are quite some occasions however, when I come home and find the htpc is on for no reason....no one was home to press any buttons or anything. It's a clean windows vista system with basically only MP installed. No strange tasks that I know of or can find. Often when I find it to be on, fans are whirring like mad. They make a lot more noise than in normal operation ( I hardly hear them then). On some occasions I can't get any response from it and I have to reboot the htpc to get it back. Also, It does appear to be random...so not the same times every day.

So, can some1 help me find out what is happening and why it is switching on. I don't know enough about computers to dig through these windows logs. I have found errors, like "bitlock driver", and "wmi". But I have no idea what it means.
If some1 can help, please let me know what logs you need to find out, and where to find them.

Thanks!

Liquidtouch

Portal Pro
February 25, 2007
Victoria, BC Canada
Home Country
Canada Canada
Not sure about the errors in your logs but you can copy and past the error from "Event Viewer" into google and hopefully figure it out.

For shutdown and startup, make sure you have the correct method your trying to use set in your bios (Ie standby or hibernate) Then I use the tool called MCE Standby Tool. It will tell you what devices are allowed to wake up the system and you can use it to enable or disable them. Its great for troubleshooting and solved some of my standby issues.

Here is the link:

Slick Solutions - MCE Standby Tool (MST)

Hope it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom