Rapid music navigation using sms-style input (1 Viewer)

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,

I have been using MP for quite some time now, and lately I have re-organized/tagged my music-collection so that I can use the "albumartist" view.
    I am using the moving pictures plugin, and have fallen in love with the search-functionality Issue 190 - moving-pictures - Google Code implemented in moving pictures.

This gives me the ablity to find the movie I want to watch instantly by pressing the remote:
    e.g: searching for "pulp fiction" all I need to do is press "7857" and the plugin filters on:

('p' OR 'q' OR 'r' OR 's') AND ('t' OR 'u' OR 'v') AND ('j' OR 'k' OR 'l') AND ('p' OR 'q' OR 'r' OR 's')

My friends, girlfriend, and myself all find navigating the music-section quite timeconsuming, and I belive that this is a great way of speeding things up.

-I know that you can press "555" to get to the first entry starting with an "L", but when you have more than 30 artists starting with an "L" it still takes qute some time to get to "los lobos" :)

This is how I would like to see this implemented:

Pre-req: I am in the music plugin in albumartist-view (grouping by letters is turned off)
    Scenario: I want to listen to a particular song (I don't remember the name of it) in the album "OK Computer" by "Radio Head"

Me: I press '7' on my remote
    MP: Goes into "filter mode" (behind the scenes that is)
    MP: Limits the view to artists that contains p,q,r or s
    Me: I press '2' on my remote
    MP: Limits the view to artists that match the permutation of the sets: (p,q,r,s) (a,b,c)
    Me: I press '3' on my remote
    MP: Limits the view to artists that match the permutation of the sets: (p,q,r,s) (a,b,c) (d,e,f)
    INFO: In my example the only one left now is "Radio Head" so that one is in focus
    Me: I press 'OK' on my remote
    MP: Leave "filter mode" and jump to album-view of Radiohead (as usual)
    INFO: I see four albums as big icons: "In Rainbows", "OK Computer", "Kid A", "The Bends"

Getting to this screen only took me 4 keypresses on my remote (7,2,3,'OK')
    Doing the same in MP today takes a LOT more time and effort.
    Ok, so how do we leave the "filter mode" when we do something wrong? simply press "back" on the remote, as we are used to.

Does this make sense? And would this be a huge task to implement in MP?

And while I am at it: Thank you all for making MP the best mediacenter software available.

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    rtv

As far as I can tell, this is not at all what the globalsearch plugin does...

What I would like to see is rapid navigation inside the my music plugin itself.
    Is far as I can see, you need to navigate to:
    - searchbutton-> choose what to search for (album/atrist/song) -> enter a searchstring (old sms-style, not t9/autocomplete) -> press search -> choose selection
    in the globalsearch plugin.

What I would like to see is aiding the navigation of the standard UI, ref. my earlier post on this matter.

Actually, it is just what this guy wants as well: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/listen-music-99/searching-music-database-52249/

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Ouch... that's true I guess...

If that is the case, I might want to create a revised music-plugin my self.
    In that regard I have a few questions:

Is there an API and documentation of some sort available for the music-plugin?
    Do you have any insight in how hard it would be to replace the GUI-part of My music, and interface the existing music-plugin?
    In my opinion, the only thing needs changing is the GUI, the rest is exellent.

Any pointers/ideas/know problems??

Thanks for answering my post rtv :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom