[no Bug] [RC2] Stand-by possible via power buttons while recording (1 Viewer)

Ventry

Portal Pro
August 19, 2009
Home Country
Australia Australia
MediaPortal Version: 1.1 RC2
MediaPortal Skin: Blue 3 Wide
Windows Version: Win 7 Ultimate x64
CPU Type: AMD Athlon II X2 240
HDD: WD 500Gig
Memory: 2 Gb DDR2 800
Motherboard: Asus m4n78 Pro
Video Card: N'Vidia 9600 pcie
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card: High Def (on board)
Sound Card AC3: Optical out to 5.1 amplifier
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Hauppauge HVR-2200
1. TV Card Type: Dual DVB-T/Analog
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Silverstone LC20M
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: Imon Pad
TV: Panasonic TH-42PZ800A
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hey there.
As the title says I have found that it is possible to send my HTPC into stand-by using the power button on the remote or on the HTPC while there is an active recording.
This is not supposed to be possible right??
When the HTPC is re-awakened there is no indication of any recording however if you go into the "recorded tv" section there is a partial recording that still claims to be recording even though it is not. If you press "enter" it gives you the dialogue choice for the beginning of the recording or the current live point even though the tv server says there is no recordings active.
As you can see this causes quite a few problems.
I have double checked through my settings to see if I have missed something but, I don't seem to have missed anything.
MP 1.1 alpha was what I had before RC2 (clean install BTW) did not have this problem.
It was NOT possible to stand-by while there was an active recording.
Logs attached. (hope I did it right)

Cheers
Ventry

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Not a bug (and it cannot have been working on any MP version).

Handling OS events like Sleep, Stand-by, Hibernate, Power Status Changed, Low Battery, Critial Suspend, AC Power, Battery Power, Battery Life etc... in Windows XP and Vista. - CodeProject

The PBT_APMQUERYSUSPEND event is not delivered to applications in VISTA and hence applications cannot deny/abort the suspend operation.

With Windows Vista / Windows 7 it is simply not possible for applications to override the manual standby request.

As a workaround you need to do:

1) use PowerScheduler plugin
    2) let MP / TVE3 handle the S3/S4 state
    3) disable standby button from control panel

Ventry

Portal Pro
    August 19, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Well I would hardly want to argue the toss on such things with you as your knowledge of such things FAR exceeds mine but, I am positive that it was not possible to send my HTPC into stand-by while recording on my previous 1.1 alpha setup.
    The good thing is I will be able to verify this as I made a clone of my old setup before moving up to RC2.
    I will connect this back-up drive when I get a chance (possibly Friday) and verify my claim.
    Who knows I may be "full of it".

Cheers and thanks
    Ventry

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country
    I have never seen MP prevent sleeping during recording, but if that functionality is built in you could allow applications to prevent sleeping by setting "Turn on Applications to Prevent Sleep Transitions" in your group policies, but is disabled by default now due to it being over used, so you may just end up with a machiene that will never sleep.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just to save you wasting time by going back to a previous version, tourettes is correct, recording does not stop Vista or Win7 going to sleep if power button used.

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    True, there is no way to prevent power transitions in Vista and later..

Possible workaround: Modify power policy on recordings so that Power & Sleep buttons do nothing?

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    True, there is no way to prevent power transitions in Vista and later..

Possible workaround: Modify power policy on recordings so that Power & Sleep buttons do nothing?

i like that idea.

however, modifying the power policy should only be done DURING the recording so that when for example my server goes to sleep at 1am, anyone can go to the power button and turn it on again if they wish.

so yes, good idea.

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country
    developers, why not add a hotkey to MP to activate its power button, so it can prevent whetver it feals like. it wouldn't solve the problem for pressing the button on the box but the remote could be configured to activate the MP power button and then MP could take over and activate the systems power button function or show a message stating why you can't (or shouldn't) turn it off now, it could then even then turn off automaticly when finished recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom