[confirm] RC3 cant play divx and avi files unless video codec set to MPC MPeg2 decoder (1 Viewer)

KevL

Portal Pro
March 3, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0RC3
MediaPortal Skin: Monochrome 3.3
Windows Version: winxp mce2005 build 2600.xpsp080413-2111: SP3
CPU Type: Athlon 4850e
HDD: 32GB SSD + 2x Samsung Spinpoint F1 1000GB
Memory: 4GB DDR2
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H Bios F7
Video Card: ATI HD4550
Video Card Driver: Catlayst 9.3
Sound Card: M Audio Transit USB optical SPDIF OUT
Sound Card AC3: Transit USB optical SPDIF out
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Blackgold BTG 3540 6in1
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T x 2 , DVB-S x 2
1. TV Card Driver: 6.0.0.25
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink PDVD8
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPC MPA SPDIF out via Transit USB
h.264 Video Codec: Cyberlink PDVD8
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Digital Terrestrial, Multisat motorised system
HTPC Case: Antec Fusion
Cooling: Zalmann (huge copper thing)
Power Supply: 320W Antec Fusion
Remote: Harmony via USB UIRT
TV: Pioneer PDP-508XD
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Have just upgraded from 1.0.2

Did a complete clean install. On 1.0.2 I never had this problem. PDVD8 and Nvidia decoder worked flawlessly. When I upgraded to 1.1.0RC3 I noticed that no avi or divx files would play. Having run out of things to try I changed the normal video codec from Cyberlink PDVD8 to the one supplied with MP (the MPC codec). This is the only way I can play these file types.

When the PDVD8 codec is selected in MP the file avi or divx file seems to play but the screen does not show the video. It shows only the MP menu (which is unresponsive). If I stop the playback the MP menu works normally again.

When the Nvidia codec is selected then attempting to play an avi or divx file crashes MP.

Have I misconfigured something?

I have attached 3 sets of logfiles.

1. with the MPC codec selected.
2. with cyberlink PDVD8 selected.
3. with Nvidia Purevideo codec selected.

Hope this helps.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Seems that you are loading 2 filters when "NOT" using the MPC mpeg2 filter., only with that is the xvid filter only being used :confused:

Have you enabled any postprocessing or dxva settings that may be causing this to happen, might be worthwhile running filmerit to see if there are any errors.

KevL

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2005
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    Many thanks for the pointer Ray.

I downloaded filmerit 3.0. Read the manual, made a restore point and used the magic button to correct 14 errors it had found.

None of these errors were associated with video codecs as such but I ran the tool and now have no errors reported.

Rebooted pc to be on the safe side and reran MP.

Now problem isnt fixed but it is different.

Now playing an avi with either Nvidia or Cyberlink codec fails to play the film but now the Nvidia codec doesnt crash MP.

Before troubling you with this error I did read the forum and there were reports of similar behaviour on RC1 and RC2. There was a core.dll released at some point but this doesn't work with RC3.

I have set my video decoders to use dxva. This is how I ran them in MP1.0.2. Is this no longer preferred? I have a radeon 4550 which used to work well in that mode (silky smooth playback). I am not using (knowingly) any postprocessing.

Kev

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    do these files play fine in WMP, might be worthwhile reinstalling the Xvid codec, take it that was you who installed that and you have the latest version from ??????? ???????? - XvidVideo.RU

Sorry trying to get my head around why a mpeg2 codec is getting involved at all unless it has been forcibly added, think I would be tempted to remove both the codecs, make sure everything working and try introducing them one by one.

KevL

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2005
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    I have checked my xvid codec. It was version 1.22 but to be on the safe side I downloaded that latest version from your Russian site. I have installed it and also reinstalled the haali media splitter - this is now also latest version.

I can play avi in windows media player.

I can also play the file if I drop it onto graphedit. I have atteched the zipped graph.

When I set MP to MPC MPeg2 codec then it plays fine. Graph attached.

When Cyberlink is set to video codec it still doesnt play. Graph also attached. Note that in this case MP has put the cyberlink decoder in the graph after the mp4 decoder. Cant imagine that is helping :)

Kev

Attachments

• graph of avi file dropped onto graphedit and rendered by it.zip
      30.8 KB
    • graph of avi file played through MP with video codec set to cyberlink pdvd8.zip
      30.9 KB
    • graph of avi file played through MP with video codec set to MPC.zip
      30.8 KB

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Can confirm this when NVidia codec set as MPEG2 decoder.

MP adds this to graph and also the XVid codec. It then adds NVidia as a post-processor of the XVid codec (even though no post-processing is configured in MP). And then MP hard crashes when playback starts.

I have ended up using FFDShow for XVid playback which works but means I can not use NVidia codec (which actually seems to be better than most for broadcast MPEG2 material)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    MP adds this to graph and also the XVid codec. It then adds NVidia as a post-processor of the XVid codec (even though no post-processing is configured in MP). And then MP hard crashes when playback starts.

Think only Ambass or tourettes may know the answer why this is happening now, do not remember seeing anyone reporting this effect before.

Edit, just seen your other post LOL, so existed a couple of months ago, bet if you put the file inside mkv it works correctly.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country

Think only Ambass or tourettes may know the answer why this is happening now, do not remember seeing anyone reporting this effect before.
    I reported this in RC2 but was marked as fixed by the upcoming change to graph building

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-1-1-0-rc-1-2-496/hard-crash-nvidia-decoder-79825/

Cooler

Portal Member
    May 31, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hey there yes i have the same problem but fixt it

problem only wen doing clean instal of rc3

then i instalt rc2 and upgraded to rc3 then problem went away did not have time to make logs on rc3 so can not help you there

hoop this option will fix it for ya

greets cooler

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom