RC3 killed good old VMR9 (1 Viewer)

fitto

Portal Pro
July 6, 2007
Barcelona
Hi,

I've always used VMR9 in MP in Vista. I was happy and I love the picture quality and stability. Now, after upgrading to RC3, I've found this combination to casue (at least, but not limitted to):

-MP hang when stopping live tv
-Pictures "gone" in MP-TVSeries and Home Menu after viewing regular video
-Black/weird screens after viewing regular video
-MP hangs when pausing video

I've changed from VMR9 to EVR, and all the above are gone. But now I have to face EVR. Maybe there's something to configure that I'm not aware of, but so far I don't like EVR too much because:

-I find EVR with poorer PQ than VMR9 (blacks aren't as black, colors aren't as brigth and picture in general is not as crisp and nitid)
-HD videos (720p videos) play tearing a lot with EVR, and with high CPU usage. With VMR9 they play smooth and CPU is silent.

Any recommendation regarding EVR? We'll have to get used to it, as it seems we're now forced to use it...

Take care,

fitto

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    -I find EVR with poorer PQ than VMR9 (blacks aren't as black, colors aren't as brigth and picture in general is not as crisp and nitid)

Check what color space you video card drivers are configured to use.

-HD videos (720p videos) play tearing a lot with EVR, and with high CPU usage. With VMR9 they play smooth and CPU is silent.

Enabling Aero will fix the tearing.

fitto

Portal Pro
    July 6, 2007
    Barcelona
    Hi,

Thanks a lot for such a quick reply!!!

Yes!!! But CPU usage is still higher than it used to be with VMR9... Now playing 720p videos is noisy (50-60% CPU), it used to be less than 20%.

Check what color space you video card drivers are configured to use.
    I'm still trying to figure that out. I'd say they're (defaultly) configured to RGB. Now what? May EVR be configured somehow? Do I have to match colorspace?

Regarding PQ, in live TV now I notice like vertical lines shadowed all over the image, specially visible in shapes with bright reds and oranges. I can tell you it wasn't there with VMR9, any idea on how to improve this?

Many thanks!!!

LeKouz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland

Thx for that solution :)

So i can test and use EVR again.

With VMR9 I have that "bug" here:
    If I change the framerate from 50 to 24Hz or the other way, (MP is still running and I use a shortcut for the CatalystCenter), MP plays the video with the old framerate.
    When i stop the video, it will change it to the new one.
    Like that:

1. Start MP with 50Hz.
    2. Change the framerate to 24Hz.
    3. Play a video which have 24Hz
    4. Before it plays, MP change the framerate back to 50Hz automatically,
    5. I stop the video, MP changed the framerate to 24Hz.

With EVR I haven't that "bug".
    OK, EVR is still experimental, but I think it's an option to have "an eye on" :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom