Recommended Remotes / Receivers for MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Recommended Remotes:
    Remotes in this thread have all been verified by users to work with MediaPortal without any additional setup....

Requirements to list:
    Remote must work with MediaPortal without any additional software, drivers or plugins.
    Setup should only involve plugging in the receiver and ticking a box in MP
    eg. If you have to use IRSS, Girder, iMON, etc... then please do not list the remote/receiver.

Setup requirements:
    Plug in receiver +/- install driver
    Tick box(s) in MP Configuration
    example...
    mcesetup.jpg

Post format:

Image: picture of remote + receiver

Name: name of remote

Operating System: operating systems you have used this with

Setup: comment on setup/install required

Extra buttons: comment if all extra buttons on remote can be mapped within MP Config -> Remotes -> MCE -> Mapping

IR Blaster: comment on IR blaster and if it is working

Comments: any additional information

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    remote.jpg

Name: HP MCE compatible remote

Operating System: I have tested with XP / Win 7 / Win 8

Setup: Plug in remote. No drivers/software needed. Tick use MCE remote in MP Config.

Extra buttons: 8x buttons, all map-able within MP configuration

IR Blaster: 2x IR Blasters. Working with lmremote software, not working reliably with IRSS.

Comments: Available on ebay. Search "HP MCE Remote". Cost $15-$20 USD incl International shipping. The more recent HP MCE remotes look different, but the receivers still look the same. They still work fine with MP.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    microsoft.jpg

Name: Microsoft MCE remote

Operating System: XP / Vista / Win 7 / Win 8

Setup: Plug in remote. No drivers needed. Tick use MCE remote in MP configuration.

Extra buttons: All buttons map-able within MP configuration. Can also directly control your TV.

IR Blaster: 2x IR Blaster.

Comments: Only available secondhand. Can be distinguished by clones by the extra power button for TV. The remote can learn IR signals for TV (PWR/Vol+/Vol-). If you see one advertised as new, it is a clone and it will not have the extra TV power button or IR learning function.

Last edited:

Steve.Rayner61

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2011
    Perth - Western Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    0000495_usb-external-infrared-ir-receiver-only-with-cable_300.jpeg

Name: Inteset Systems - USB External Infrared (IR) Receiver - http://shop.inteset.com/usb-external-infrared-ir-receiver-only-with-cable

Operating System: Vista / Win 7 / Win 8

Setup: Plug in remote. No drivers/software needed. Tick use MCE remote in MP Config

Comments: As both the Microsoft Model 1039 Remote Control AND the bundled Microsoft Model 1040 RC6 Infrared Receiver are no longer available, I scoured the planet looking for, purchasing and testing various other units claiming to be compatible. Most are NOT! I found that this unit from Inteset Systems is as good if not better than the original Microsoft product. I have also tried this Inteset Remote http://shop.inteset.com/xbox-4-in-1-programmable-back-lit-infrared-remote and found it to be quite good. I've also now ordered one of their new Remotes http://shop.inteset.com/multi-function-programmable-learning-remote and will advise how it goes.

Last edited:

JJDoherty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2013
    Dublin
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    I thought I'd add this suggestion as I have this Inteset ASRock mobo CIR receiver and I'm very please with it.

Inteset have developed a new internal IR receiver that will enable a system to wake from an S5 (off) state on any motherboard. They are currently running a KickStarter campaign for the first production run, details can be found here.

Just to add, I have no connection with Inteset other than being a satisfied customer.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I thought I'd add this suggestion as I have this Inteset ASRock mobo CIR receiver and I'm very please with it.

Inteset have developed a new internal IR receiver that will enable a system to wake from an S5 (off) state on any motherboard. They are currently running a KickStarter campaign for the first production run, details can be found here.

Just to add, I have no connection with Inteset other than being a satisfied customer.

The above links are broken.
    That PC-IRS5-01 is an interresting product from Inteset, they even mention MediaPortal on the product page but fall short of providing a link to our web site.
    I'm myself using Simerec PCS-MCE which is brilliant and possibly more compact than the Inteset it seems.
    However I'm not sure the PCS-MCE made it past the prototype stages so it might be difficult to obtain.
    Looking at the design of the PC-IRS5-01 it looks like you could also hook it in to your ATX standby power, much like the PCS-MCE.
    Thus you would not need external power supply if none of your internal USB is getting standby power.

Last edited:

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Please note that the 'Microsoft MCE' handler is now deprecated and will be withdrawn in MP 1.13.
    All MCE remotes and other eHome IR devices are now driven by our new HID handler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom