Recommended RF Remote? (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

I need an RF remote as my HTPC is hidden and I don’t want to walk in to the next room to change channel. Can anyone recommend a decent RF Remote + Reciever + configuration software. Bonus points if it includes an IR learning function to control the TV and Cable box.

A

Anonymous

URC-100

I'd recommend the URC-100. This is a nice RF + IR remote that can do 8 devices, and fully learnable (plus JTAG interface!), with over 40 keys. There's a very good discussion of this remote (and its bigger brothers) at

http://www.remotecentral.com/urcseries/

For the RF portion to work, you need to buy the MRF-100A RF extender. This receives the RF signals, can can output the associated IR through a blaster on the front, or up to 6 cabled IR blasters. You should be able to find the remote and extender package together for about $150 USD.

I've been using this setup with everything in a 'media' closet, and it's worked great. I've tried other RF extenders, and many of them had a problem with RF noise, outputting spurious IR that would confuse the components. I've had no problems at all with this setup, and I'd heartily recommend it. You'd also need some sort of USBUIRT (or something similar) receiver for you HTPC.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom