winterescape

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Looking to optimize my storage setup. I run MP1.0.2 on XP SP3
    Mostly ATSC TV output over HDMI

I have a single 250GB drive that I chose to configure with a single partition OS, MP, and data. I Have 2GB memory with 256K configured for on board video and I set the page file fixed @ 2x memory size.

I run XP built in defrag, or have been playing with running MyDefrag, every night

Looking for any suggestions, have read pros & cons to single drive with single partition and was thinking of creating a second partition (D) just for data storage. Keep C for OS, MP, tmp, & pagefile.

Suggestions?

AIstudio

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2007
    Blackpool
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,
    So are you saying that at the moment you have 1 x 250Gb drive that is used for the OS and also has folders on there for your data(say TV recordings/music etc).
    If this is the case it is a Bad thing to have everything on C drive with the OS.
    The main reason is the fact that if you get corruptions with the OS and cant recover it for whatever reason. You end up having to refomat and loose everything on the drive.
    If you partition the drive to say 60Gb for C (OS) and the rest for D ie 190Gb then you can put all your data on D drive. If the OS getts corrupt you can reinstall onto C and you dont loose the data on D.
    This is a LOT better than everything being on the OS drive C.
    The big downside of it all is the fact that it is ALL still on one drive unit. If you say fried that hard drive totally then you still loose everything. Obviously if another seperate drive is out of the question I would deffinatly say partition that one drive to give a C drive and a D drive.
    I alwyas do this with my OS drive. I put my OS on C and all the programs that I install on D :)

Hope this helps

Regards

Kev

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Agree with above, If using XP then you can get away with a lot less than 60GB for the OS.

I would recommend

20GB (C) - Operating System + Paging file + Mediaportal + Programs
    5GB (D) - Timeshift drive
    225GB (E) - Media Drive

Set paging file size Min & Max = 2048MB (So it uses a fixes size = less fragmentation)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom