Record as .m2ts (instead of .ts or .mpeg) (1 Viewer)

periodpuddle

Portal Member
September 25, 2008
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Started on: 29/9/2008
last update: 29/9/2008

Summary: Record as .m2ts file.

Description: I live in New Zealand (along with 4 million other people) and here (as well as Norway or some other scandinavian country) we have MPEG-4 based digital television with AAC-HE sound. Unfortunately this means that when our television streams are encapsulated in .ts files, the sound does not work when you try and play them on the PS3. There is however an easy solution, convert them to .m2ts files.

If there was another option in the recording section of the MediaPortal Server settings, a .m2ts option, this would solve the problem.

As .m2ts and .ts are very similar, and there are programs that already exist such as tsremux, I imagine this would be quite easy to implement for someone of sound skill.

Can you do it?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Propably not worth doing as the task is not such simple as it might sound. Both TsWriter and TsReader should be modified to support 192 byte packets instead of the 188 (TS), such change would complicate the code a lot.

In my opinion its not woth doing it as it wont help MP in any way and gives only new possible error cases. The correct way to handle such needs is to use some 3rd party application to do the conversion. In fact I would like to see the .mpeg removed as its a little bit buggy and no one has time or interest to keep it up to date.

periodpuddle

Portal Member
    September 25, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Well what about the option to perform a series of commands on the saved recording once it has been written. So once the file has been saved I can run tswriter to convert the file and then erase to erase the original. Is it possible to have the file remain in the database so that it is deleted when it becomes old.

It would definitely make MP better as eventually all terrestrial (and probably satellite) broadcasts will be broadcast in MP4, and I'm sure a lot of users like to watch their recordings on their PS3s. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the extra 4 bytes is simply a time stamp, surely this would take no more than an hour to implement.

5Hundred

Portal Pro
    December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Looking forward to you coding this in an hour periodpuddle!

Why not google around and use one of the many "folder watching" programmes out there that will perform a task when a new file is detected in a folder. You could then use this to change the recorded file to whatever file type you desire whenever one is created.

periodpuddle

Portal Member
    September 25, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    does anyone else have this problem or am I the only one?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    the sound does not work when you try and play them on the PS3. There is however an easy solution, convert them to .m2ts files.

Why would we want to support Playstation3, that is a individuals choice to use and is not on the supported operating system list.

It's the PS3's problem not ours, why don't you write to Sony and ask them to support ts files, they have more time\money to throw at it than we do.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, just got better things to do with our time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom