"Record every time on this channel" - why did MP do this? (1 Viewer)

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    MediaPortal Version: 0.2.1.0
    MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo 1280x720
    Windows Version: Windows XP Prof. SP2
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon XP 2700+
    HDD: Seagate 200GB ATA100
    Memory: 512MB - DDR 333 (PC3200)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ
    Motherboard Chipset: VIA KM400
    Motherboard Bios:
    Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon 9550
    Video Card Driver: ATI Radeon v6.4
    Sound Card: On board VIA VT1617
    Sound Card AC3: using 5.1 analog outputs
    Sound Card Driver: VIA Vinyl Audio v6.50a
    1. TV Card: Dvico FusionHDTV DVB-T
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    1. TV Card Driver: v 3.50.02
    2. TV Card: DNTVLive! LP DVB-T
    2. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    2. TV Card Driver: v 2.0.0.4
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink PowerDVD 6
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: none
    HTPC Case: custom built
    Cooling: custom built - super quiet
    Power Supply: custom built - 200W
    Remote: MCE - Australian version
    TV: BENQ PB6200 DLP projector
    TV - HTPC Connection: D-sub (15 pin)

I selected “Record every time on this channel” for the program Fawlty Towers.

I have the recording start offset at 1 minute and the end offset at 20 minutes (TV channels here are notorious for running late!)

There was a Fawlty Towers episode at 7:30pm to 8:15pm and a second Fawlty Towers episode from 8:15pm until 9:00pm – both on Channel 7.

I have 2 DVB-T cards.

This is what I expected would happen:-

1. The first episode of Fawlty Towers would be recorded on Card 1 from 7:29 until 8:35 (these times include the start and end offset times).
    2. The second episode of Fawlty Towers would be recorded on Card 2 from 8:14 until 9:20.

This is what actually happened:-

1. The first episode of Fawlty Towers was recorded on Card 1 from 7:29 until 8:35 – which is correct
    2. BUT, the second episode of Fawlty Towers was recorded on Card 1 from 8:35:30 until 9:20 – which is incorrect. It should have commenced 21 minutes earlier and it should have been on Card 2!

Why did MediaPortal not use Card 2 for the second episode?

Why did MediaPortal not commence the second episode at the correct time?

I have been able to “stitch” the 2 recordings together to recover the 2 episodes, but there is about 20 seconds of the second episode missing while MediaPortal stopped and started Card 1 at 8:35pm.

Here is the section of the MediaPortal.log file that shows what happened at 8:35pm:-

Code:
    9/12/2006 8:35:00 PM 218 [Info.] Recorder: recording ended 'Fawlty Towers' on channel:Seven from 7:30:00 PM-8:15:00 PM id:3 priority:2147483645 quality:NotSet
    9/12/2006 8:35:00 PM 218 [Info.] diskmanagement: recording Fawlty Towers ended. type:EveryTimeOnThisChannel max episodes:2147483647
    9/12/2006 8:35:00 PM 218 [Info.] Recorder: recording state changed
    9/12/2006 8:35:00 PM 218 [Info.] TVCapture.StopTimeShifting() Card:1
    9/12/2006 8:35:00 PM 218 [Info.] DVBGraph: StopTimeShifting()
    9/12/2006 8:35:20 PM 859 [Info.] Recorder: time to record 'Fawlty Towers' on channel: Seven from 7:30:00 PM-8:15:00 PM id:3 priority:2147483645 quality:NotSet EveryTimeOnThisChannel
    [B][COLOR="Red"]9/12/2006 8:35:20 PM 859 [Info.] Recorder: program:8:15:00 PM-9:00:00 PM[/COLOR][/B]
    9/12/2006 8:35:20 PM 859 [Info.] Recorder:  using card:Dvico FusionHDTV DVB-T prio:10
    9/12/2006 8:35:20 PM 859 [Info.] TVCapture.Record() Card:1 Fawlty Towers on Seven from 7:30:00 PM-8:15:00 PM
    Notice the times in the bold red line … :confused:

wishywashy

Portal Pro
    January 31, 2005
    Hill AFB, UT
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I use "Record every time on this channel" for a couple of back to back items and never had an issue.

Wonder if the priorities of the cards are makeing the difference? Are both of them set to 10?

My analog cards are set to 1 and 10. My roslyn card has a really soft picture and I try no to use it.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I have successfully used "Record every time on this channel" before, but I don't think I have ever used it for back-to-back programs, and certainly not for back-to-back programs that have the same name, as it was in this case ... :(

The card that was used to record both programs is set to priority 10, the other card is set to priority 1.

I suspect that the MP scheduling logic was confused in this case by back-to-back programs that both had the same name? Is that possible?

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    The logic would be that the seperate cards aren't set to both view/record this channel so MP started when a tuner was free

IF this isn't the case then it is a bug.

We need to see the log from 7.25 onwards so as to see what happened at 8.14 and whatboth tuners were doing .

Also check the individual shcedules just in case an error was made on the second recoding and the offsets were set wrong.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    The logic would be that the seperate cards aren't set to both view/record this channel so MP started when a tuner was free.

Both cards are configured to view and record, and I have successfully had both cards recording previously on overlapping or back-to-back recordings.

IF this isn't the case then it is a bug..

Yes, I think this is a bug - but one that is nigh impossible to reproduce? (since it seems to only occur on back-to-back schedules where the program name is identical on each schedule)

We need to see the log from 7.25 onwards so as to see what happened at 8.14 and whatboth tuners were doing ..
    Yes, I will post the whole log when I get home tonight - but I can tell you that there are no entries between 7:29 and 8:35.

Also check the individual shcedules just in case an error was made on the second recoding and the offsets were set wrong.
    Yes, I did that and there were no errors - you can see from the bold red line in my first post that MP had the schedule correct for the second recording, but chose to ignore it until 8:35pm ... :(

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    have you used the 0.2.1.0 or a svn build? please always attach the full *.log files

This is just v0.2.1.0 - no SVN applied.

And yes, I will post the whole log tonight - but I don't think that there is anything else in the log that throws any light on this issue ... :confused:

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I have attached the MediaPortal.log file from the above recording session.

You will notice that MediaPortal was launched at 7:29pm (by PVR Scheduler) and the first recording of Fawlty Towers commenced.

The next event is at 8:35:00 PM when the first recording was completed.

Then, at 8:35:28 PM the second recording commenced - over 21 minutes late - but still on Card 1.

And finally, at 9:21 the second recording completed and MediaPortal was closed.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that this is a bug - so I will see if I can construct a "reproducible test case" ... :)

andreaswith

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 4, 2006
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Same happened to me

I experienced the same problem today. I was recording "Midsumer murders" which is always double episodes, and always sent right after eachother on friday evenings. But the first minutes of the second episode was recorded at the end of the first, and there were a few of the lines in the movie dialogue missing.

Attaching some logfiles. The first episode was from 21:40-22:30 with five minutes offset at the start and the end and the second from 22:30-23:25.

I'm using SVN Build 12695.

Andreas

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Bug report created in Mantis ...

Thanks for confirming this issue ... :)

I have logged a bug report in Mantis.

Please let me know if the bug report needs additional information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom