Recording files to take up less disc space. (1 Viewer)

Richard Hole

Portal Pro
March 27, 2009
Home Country
Hello

Is it possible to record a TV program with Media Portal so that the size of the recorded file takes up less disc space? I know some video recorders have an option where you can record files that take up less space on the hard drive with a barely noticeable loss of image quality. Some of the TS files that are saved are about 4 GB in size for an hour of recording. They are not as big for other TV stations which are often about half that size.

Also, I would like to know what you think of my suggestions I have for Media Portal’s editor on the below link and if these problems could be solved which could make the editor one of the best.
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-saving-files-other-formats-81535/index3.html

Your help would be appreciated
Regards Richard.

alank

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2006
    NJ
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    No feature like that I'm aware of. With hard drive space being so incredibly cheap I don't see the need.

Richard Hole

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Hello

The files TS files are rather large and you do not have to record too many programs to fill a hard drive up with them. I have a 250GB hard drive and it is almost full. So it would be good if someone could add an extension to Media Portal to do this. Do you know of anyone that may be able to?

Regards Richard.

gurken

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    a plugin which reduces the filesize automatically would be very nice .. of course diskspace isn´t very expensive but the most people aren´t able to place a lot of intern/extern hardrives .. i own 640gig inside my htpc and ~3TB in my NAS and nearly 60% are full.
    If you record a lot of TV series than you wil loose a lot of diskspace in a short time --> one episode simpsons 900-1200MB, a full movie 4-6 gig (depends on the quality and the sublanguages), hd movies 9-10gig.
    I tried to reduce the filesize for my simspons episodes and its not a big problem with specialprograms (250-300mb), also the quality is very good but you need a lot of time to "rip" all the series, time which i wont invest :D ... a record option to safe files directly in a low quality on your pc would be nice.

Baboonanza

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 5, 2010
    North London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    But 250Gb is really quite small these days, especially if it has the OS and apps on it too. You can get a 2Tb drive for £100.

If you really want to do it I think the easiest solution would be to set-up a script/prgram to just re-encode the .TS files in the middle of the night. Maybe using memcoder?

druid9

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 31, 2006
    Check Out MCE Buddy (Google)

Monitors a folder for new files and converts to a variety of formats, works well for me.

I keep recorded TV as .TS for a couple of weeks, deleting those I don't want to archive, then set MCE Buddy to do its thing once a file is 2 weeks or more old.

gurken

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Check Out MCE Buddy (Google)

Monitors a folder for new files and converts to a variety of formats, works well for me.

I keep recorded TV as .TS for a couple of weeks, deleting those I don't want to archive, then set MCE Buddy to do its thing once a file is 2 weeks or more old.

thx i will give it a try

Richard Hole

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Hello

I have some free software I downloaded at SUPER &copy and I also heard that Projectx can convert file formats. Do you know if MCE Buddy has any advantages over these?

The only thing with using another program to reduce the size is that it is an extra step to do and when files are edited or converted with some programs, the audio and video can be put out of synchronization and you cannot fast forward very fast without it stalling.

So it would be good if Media Portal had an extension to have it automatically save a smaller size file without having to convert with another program. Do you think an extension could be easily developed to do this?

Regards Richard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom