Recording format: TS - MPEG - ??? (1 Viewer)

Matio

Portal Member
January 13, 2005
Hi,

this may be a stupid question, but since I'm new to MP and I found no clear answer on my forum and wiki searches I dare to ask it out loud:

* What kind of format is TS?

It seems that all MP recordings I have end with TS... I understood from the forum that this is some sort of TimeShifting-enabled Transport Stream.

* So, but how to convert this to DVR-MS?

A lot of topics talk about automatic conversion from DVR-MS to MPEG... so I guess once I got DVR-MS files I'd be ok.

* Is there any way to directly record to DVR-MS in MP?

From the posts I read I came to believe that MP used to directly record to DVR-MS and that this has changed and/or is about to change again...

So, anybody that is able to clarify the format used by MP (0.2) to record
digital TV shows (via DVB-T) and what are the future plans for coming-up versions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Matthias

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    TS is the native format used by the broadcasters, it contains all the video and audio of the tv channel you recorded. So it may contain multiple audio channels (comments, mpeg1/2, ac3). It plays back using a demux and regular mpeg2 codecs.

DVR-MS format was just mpeg2 audio/video in a wrapper.

Why would you want to convert to a dvr-ms file? Its has the same contents but is just a different format. If you convert to anything you might as well just convert it to an mpeg2 file.

TS is going to be in 0.2.0.0 and beyond.

Matio

Portal Member
    January 13, 2005
    Thanks Callifo for this information.

I was just wondering if I should convert this to DVR-MS as I found so many
    topics about this info. I assume hen recording from an analog source (e.g. PVR350) then DVR-MS is used, right ?

So, all I need to be looking for is then a TS -> MPEG2 converter.

Guess I'll try with TSConverter from GreenButton:

http://dvbportal.dyn1.de/download.php?file=tsconverter-1.0.zip

Regards,

Matio

[EDIT]
    TSConverter converts to DVR-MS, but I guess I can go from there :)
    [/EDIT

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom