Recording Scheduler (1 Viewer)

NekoGurrl

April 4, 2006
I've been using MediaPortal now for the last 2 weeks to replace an ailing XBox Media Center. However the scheduler for recording shows built into the software is pretty poor. I've looked at PBR Schedular, but they charge to be able to download their GPL'd software. And without a PayPal account (or being able to speak german) it's unavailible.

Is there another solution besides purchising BeyondTV to do my DVR functions?

NekoGurrl

April 4, 2006
Brocklander said:
What is it you don't like about the Media Portal EPG?

Mostly features such as the ability to search then mark series for all new episodes (series pass); web based scheduling from another machine and context menu selection working without mouse in EPG.

Also I use an external STB that I control right now through a serial cable, in Myth I just told it what port and all changing was done through the cable. In MP I have to edit each channel and set it to external, SVHS and set the channel. I've gone thought this 5 times for over 200 channels and it's getting a bit old. I have been looking at the format of the TV channel database to see if I can write something to make it easier to change all channels in one pass. I just ordered the MCE remote and am switching over to its blasters instead of the serial control since none of the newer STB’s I’ve worked with use this method.

Just doesn't seem to be as well polished as the rest of this great program, right now PVR Scheduler does fill in some of these vacancies, but as that software is unavailable to anyone without pay pall, it is a moot point. I also understand that 0.2.0.0 RC3 is still unreleased undocumented software so it may very well be features I am unaware of coming late to the table as I have.

MP is the best HTPC software I’ve used thus far, and I’ll continue to work on finding a way to use it as a DVR as well.

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    See, that post is a little more helpful :D

Context menu
    For the MCE Remote which you mentioned, DVD Menu or the Info button bring up menus

Search and record series
    You should be able to use Search from the main TV screen, select a show, and set Advanced Recording to Record Every Time On This Channel, or whichever you need. There's also work being done on a Tivo like learning function, which you can find here

Web based scheduling
    You can use the MP Webinterface, works from any computer or mobile phone (has a WAP version)

I can't help you with information on setting up your STB as I don't use one, but that does sound like a pretty awful process to go through :?

NekoGurrl

April 4, 2006
    hansdegit said:
    You don't have to write a program to do the one-pass trick, just use SQL.

Use the "SQLite Database Browser" from the docs directory.

Thanks, went though it to finish up from the last remainging channels I needed setup.

Now have every thing up and working, MyBlaster controling my STB and even the time is right on the Program Guide! Have it recording Dr Who tonight to see if it will wake up from suspend and record it properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom