Recording SKY (1 Viewer)

samj2005

December 3, 2006
Hey all,

Just bought a brand new pc. It has all the features in including Scart, and all the Yellow and Red and White things. I would like to know if I used MediaPortal, which I have used before, could i get TV listings off Sky, so basicly get the TV Guide on Media Portal from SKY and then recored?

Thanks Alot!

Sam

mdsflyer

Portal Pro
November 14, 2005
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi sam, i'm sure it can be done. However i'm too lazy to check the forums for previous posts that refer to this. Are you sure you're not too lazy to check too? Try searching forums first, if it has been done it'll be in there somewhere. m.

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    There are two ways of getting Sky on a mediaportal PC. The most common way is to connect it using analogue and control the set top box with IR blasters (or something similar). I *think* there is a way to pull the EPG off the internet.

The other and more expensive way is to get a supported DVB-S card, like the Twinhan or FloppyDTV, along with a DragonCAM and actually use MediaPortal instead of your Sky set top box.

There is no garantees the later method will continue to work. Sky could easily change their encription mechanism and lock you out. I think you also have to put the card back in your Sky box every now and then to remind they sky system you are still there. Also i'm not actually 100% sure MediaPortal will get the EPG off sky this way either. I assume Sky are using a standard methos of broadcasting the EPG over DVB-S, but this is Sky, so you never know what they are doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom