Recording timeshifted material? (1 Viewer)

BestRip

Portal Member
February 20, 2007
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Is it possible to record from the passed timestream? Like taking a part of a timeshifted program and saving it to a file...?

I have this facility on a JVC PVR and I'd like to see it in MediaPortal...

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This would in fact be a nice feature. FYI: You can do this manually by now if it is really urgent.

-level20peon

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    I would like to see this option.

Timeshifting takes details from the EPG and the resultant single file respects the EPG info; naming etc. pre/post padding. details are added to the database as if it is a scheduled recorded file.

A tsbuffer file still carries the details required for client acceess/streaming.

New .ts files are produced with respect to the EPG (padding applied if set by the user) and not as now with the equal size rolling buffers.

A time to save setting could be used to auto delete files after a preset time/hour/days.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MP's inbuild tv plugin used to have "record by reference". Is that broken currently?

Auron_X

Portal Member
    August 1, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As far as I have tested yes.
    I know from the built-in TV, that it recorded the full show, also if i just started to record in the middle but watched from the beginning.
    TVE3 just records from the time where i start recording.

tompa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 3, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Remember using this feature in other PVR prgm (long time ago), relay nice feature!
    Then you could start a recording of the hole show after it has started (within timeshifted buffer).

msinn

Portal Member
    November 5, 2006
    Hamburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I would like this feature too. Sometimes I watch a show or report and while watching I think it would be interesting for someone else. When I decide to record it, it olud be nice to be able to record the full show.

Greetings
    Martin

snorre

Portal Member
    April 23, 2004
    Isn't this because of the client server thing in TVE3? In TVE2 the recording engine has access to the timeshifting buffer since it is always on the same machine as the recording. In TVE3 though, the buffer is on the client while the recording is done on the server. Because of this the server cannot record in the past... At least this is my interpretation. Having said this I would really like to have this feature back as well, I liked it a lot. The question is how to implement it!

Edit: Thinking about it another time, I'm acutally not sure about this. Perhaps the buffer is on the server anyway? Anyone that knows this?

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I'm with SciDoctor

SageTV has a different take on the timeshift buffer which makes this feature really simple to implement. Perhaps it could also be considered for MediaPortal.

Instead of having all timeshifting saved to a single file (i.e. live1-0.ts.tsbuffer1.ts) each show gets it's own timeshift file (i.e. Program name.ts). These files are automatically removed x minutes after the end of the show. To implement this feature the TV Server would simply not remove the file if the user pressed Record.

Terriff

Portal Pro
    March 28, 2008
    I would also love this feature.

So many times now, I've pressed record, expecting to have the timeshifted portion included, but am disappointed when I go to watch and only see from where I pressed "record". :(

Users who are viewing this thread