[no Bug] Recording TV on network share no longer works? (1 Viewer)

Dansta

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2006
    Steventon
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MediaPortal Version: 1.1 RC1
    MediaPortal Skin: X-Face
    Windows Version: Win 7Home Premium 32 bit
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon 4600 2.4GHz
    HDD: Kingston SSD 64GB
    Memory: Hynix 2x2GB
    Motherboard: MSI K9AGM3-FIH
    Video Card: On board Radeon X1200
    1. TV Card: Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT
    1. TV Card Type: Dual DVB-T
    Remote: MS MCE
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hi.

I've just upgraded from XP SP3 MP v1.02 to a replacement system (spec above) running Win7 32 bit home premium (could not get the Terratec drivers installed using 64 bit) this is both a hardware change and software change from my previous system (yeah I know change 1 thing at a time.....).

On my old XP system I had a bunch of recorded TV on network storage (actually a Windows Home Server but there is nothing MP installed and MCE connector stuff disabled so as far as I think MP is concerned, it is a network share). My setup was that TV was recorded to "\\SERVER\Recorded TV". I could record OK and watch recorded TV both from the "Recorded TV" and "My Videos" menus.

Having changed both the OS to Win 7 and MP to 1.1 RC1 I now find that I cannot record to "\\SERVER\Recorded TV" like I used to. Equally in TV Server configuration, it looks like all the old TV recordings are recognised and imported but "tvserver_tv.log" keeps showing something like:
    "2010-03-21 06:39:42.936794 [(6)]: DeleteRecordingOnDisk: '\\SERVER\Recorded TV\Aliens\Aliens.ts'"

If I change the recording folder to the HDD, it records OK. Equally playback from "My Videos" from "\\SERVER\Recorded TV" is fine.

For example, recording to C:\Users\Media\Documents works in "tvserver_TsWriter-2010-03-21.log:
    starts here:
    21-03-2010 10:08:11.810 Recorder: RECORD set filename:C:\Users\Media\Documents\I Can Cook.ts

and I finish it here:
    21-03-2010 10:10:53.364 Recorder: RECORD Stop 'C:\Users\Media\Documents\I Can Cook.ts'

Whereas when I change it back to \\SERVER\Recorded TV:
    21-03-2010 10:10:53.364 Recorder: RECORD Stop 'C:\Users\Media\Documents\I Can Cook.ts'
    I can only see the error message
    21-03-2010 10:11:04.238 Recorder:unable to create file:'\\SERVER\Recorded TV\I Can Cook.ts' 5

I understand very little of what is in the MP logs I'm afraid......

When I exit MP and copy something to the share (or create a new file) it allows me to do so. Does that rule out permissions?.

Any ideas please?

Thanks.

garry

Portal Pro
    December 11, 2005
    California
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    It works fine for me, but I had to change the TVService account to one that had read/write permission to file share.

cbundy

March 28, 2010
    Home Country
    I have the same problem with 1.0.2.

I am running Windows XP as the client on a domain. The TVserver account (Domain\TVService) has permissions to the share on the server (Full) as well as NTFS permissions (Full). The log does not show any attempt to save files anywhere but the default C:\ App data folder.

When you have this working, are you setting the TV server to save to a UNC location, or a mapped drive? Mapped drives won't work for me as the TVservice account is not the same as the account that logs on and runs mediaportal, and thus will not have mapped drives available to it.

For the OP, I'm not an expert at MediaPortal, but that sort of sounds like a permissions issue. Does the TVserver service run under the same account that you are logging onto the computer with?

Thanks

Callum

Ruud

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Like Garry states,
    you need to run the tvservice under a user account with read/write privileges on the remote share.
    please note (I learned that the hard way ;)) that after every MP update it defaults back and runs under the local system account.... hence recording to a network share failes.

regards,
    Ruud.

Johnnie

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Like Garry states,
    you need to run the tvservice under a user account with read/write privileges on the remote share.
    please note (I learned that the hard way ;)) that after every MP update it defaults back and runs under the local system account.... hence recording to a network share failes.

regards,
    Ruud.

Hi all,

I'm facing the fact also of recording on a NAS that doesn't seem to work :confused:.

I'm suspecting that is also has to do with local account issues. Can somebody please give me some detailed steps of changing the TV-server from running by a local system account to an user account?

Thanks in advance,
    John

riksmith

Portal Pro
    April 18, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Is this problem solved by settings a user account with the correct rights? If so i can set this to "no bug".

Johnnie

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Is this problem solved by settings a user account with the correct rights? If so i can set this to "no bug".

Hi riksmith,

I'll try this evening and let know.

John

Johnnie

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Hi riksmith,

I'll try this evening and let know.

John

Thanks, i hope the original reporter also responds because i will be closing his problem.

Yesss it works.

Changed local user to a user created in user-manager.
    Needed to add a password to the account and therefore also needed to configure XP with autologon.
    Now recordings take place on NAS!

Thanks for all pointers and offered help!

John

Dansta

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2006
    Steventon
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yes, thanks for the info. Changing the account used by the TVSERVICE has worked. I am a bit embarrassed at being so dumb for not realising the bleedin' obvious!

What I think has happened is as follows. When I used XP, I never bothered with any user accounts. I used the straight Administrator account. And this, of course, was recognised by my WHS as being the general administrator account and password on my WHS network and so it worked.

Now that I am using WIN 7 and I am using user accounts without the local administrator account being "activated" the "local system account" is not recognised as a valid account and hence my troubles.

Cheers, Dansta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom