[fixed] Recordings: No entries in "Database import" if recording directory is root (2 Viewers)

spassiger

Portal Member
February 21, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 RC1
MediaPortal Skin: Blue3
Windows Version: Windows 7 Business
CPU Type: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
HDD: Samsung HD321KJ, 320 GB
Memory: 2 x 1024 MB DDR2
Motherboard: Gigabyte G33-DS3R
Video Card: NVidia GeForce 8800GT
Video Card Driver: 8.17.11.9621
Sound Card: Realtek High Definition Audio (OnBoard)
Sound Card AC3: coaxial out
Sound Card Driver: 6.0.1.5928
1. TV Card: Terratec Cinergy PCI
1. TV Card Type: DVB-C
1. TV Card Driver: 1.1.0.601
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (TerraTec)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: CyberLink Audio Decoder (TerraTec)
h.264 Video Codec: Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Kabel Medien Service
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply: be quiet! Straigh Power 450W
Remote: Hama MCE Remote Control
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

Some days ago, I bought a new hard drive and installed it correctly. As not much free space was left on my old hard drive, I moved some movie recordings to the new HDD. Later, after having deleted some of the recordings on my old HDD, I moved some recordings from the new HDD back to the old one. I thought that I could use the "Database import" function of the TV Server to reimport these recordings and use them with MediaPortal. But it didn't work, the list of "recorded files which are not currently present in your database" was empty. I used J:\ as my recordings folder. By accident, I noticed that I could import XML files that were not in the root directory (J:\), but in a subdirectory (J:\Simpsons\). I found out that I could reimport all of my missing recordings if I move the recordings folder from J:\ to J:\Recordings\. So I think that this is a bug which means that the TV server doesn't search for XML files correctly if the recordings directory is a root directory and not a subdirectory.

I don't know whether root directory and subdirectory are the correct english translations, but I hope that you understand what I mean either way. ;)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    re: Recordings: No entries in "Database import" if recording directory is root

spassiger

Never good to put any files in root directory as this is reserved for system, hence you have problem.

Should always be something like I:\Recordings or whatever you wish to name folder :D

riksmith

Portal Pro
    April 18, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

spassiger

Never good to put any files in root directory as this is reserved for system, hence you have problem.

Should always be something like I:\Recordings or whatever you wish to name folder :D

I hope this is a joke?

riksmith

Portal Pro
    April 18, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

MediaPortal Version
    Some days ago, I bought a new hard drive and installed it correctly. As not much free space was left on my old hard drive, I moved some movie recordings to the new HDD. Later, after having deleted some of the recordings on my old HDD, I moved some recordings from the new HDD back to the old one. I thought that I could use the "Database import" function of the TV Server to reimport these recordings and use them with MediaPortal. But it didn't work, the list of "recorded files which are not currently present in your database" was empty. I used J:\ as my recordings folder. By accident, I noticed that I could import XML files that were not in the root directory (J:\), but in a subdirectory (J:\Simpsons\). I found out that I could reimport all of my missing recordings if I move the recordings folder from J:\ to J:\Recordings\. So I think that this is a bug which means that the TV server doesn't search for XML files correctly if the recordings directory is a root directory and not a subdirectory.

I don't know whether root directory and subdirectory are the correct english translations, but I hope that you understand what I mean either way. ;)

When importing from the subdirectory, did you change the recording path to that subdirectory or did you keep the recording directory at J:/?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country

spassiger

I hope this is a joke?

No, but you made me laugh, user files should never ever be in root, they need to be in a seperate defined folder.

This has been stated many many times by team members when people have had similar problems, and it has resolved it.

riksmith

Portal Pro
    April 18, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

spassiger

I hope this is a joke?

No, but you made me laugh, user files should never ever be in root, they need to be in a seperate defined folder.

This has been stated many many times by team members when people have had similar problems, and it has resolved it.

Sounds strange but if you say so. Anyway: That piece of code is bugged.

spassiger

Portal Member
    February 21, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I hope this is a joke?

Sounds strange but if you say so. Anyway: That piece of code is bugged.
    I don't know where you got this best practice from but I've divided my hard disk in several partitions where all my user data is placed on the root level. By separating my own data (office / music / movies / ...) from the operating system, backups can be made easier. Especially for large files like TV recordings, I think an own partition is a comfortable solution. If this is a problem for the MediaPortal software in general, it would be nice to show an error message when setting the recordings directory to a root directory. Otherwise, users may be surprised why some functions don't behave like expected.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country

The fact that the root drive causes problems is a windows OS legacy problem, MP cannot resolve this, its too deep rooted.

All that is needed is create a folder for recordings and timeshift if using that drive, really do not see this as such a big deal to solve issues caused.

Sorry if i sound harsh in any way, but the answer is so simple.

riksmith

Portal Pro
    April 18, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

The fact that the root drive causes problems is a windows OS legacy problem, MP cannot resolve this, its too deep rooted.

All that is needed is create a folder for recordings and timeshift if using that drive, really do not see this as such a big deal to solve issues caused.

Sorry if i sound harsh in any way, but the answer is so simple.

I am sorry, but which problem are you talking about? The problem mentioned here has nothing to do with the OS, it is just a MP bug (for which i made a mantis and added a patch on the team forums)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom