RED DOT recording state doesn't appear in video fullscreen playing (2 Viewers)

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    MediaPortal Version: 1.21

Description
    Hello,
    This is for 1.21 version but, as far as I remember, long time this bug exist.
    When recording :

1.jpg
    No red dot on video fullscreen (My TV) :

2.jpg

Exemple in MP-TVSeries (it's an example, same in MyVideos) :
    So, red dot in list, because "IsRecording" :

3.jpg

And no red dot in fullscreen video playing :

4.jpg

Steps to Reproduce:
    Please, try what I wrote

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This is for 1.21 version but, as far as I remember, long time this bug exist.
    I have just checked this using my "ClassicWide" skin, for a programme that is currently recording:

(1) The red dot does appear in the list of recordings on the "Recorded TV" panel.

(2) The red dot does appear in both the pause OSD and the info OSD if the programme being recorded is watched live.

(3) The red dot does not appear in the pause and info OSDs if I watch some other channel while a programme is recording (I think that this is the correct behaviour).

(4) A red dot does not appear in the pause and info OSDs if I watch a recording stored in the "Videos" section while a programme is recording (I think that this is the correct behaviour).

I would conclude that there is no underlying problem with the MP 1.21 base product. It looks as though it is a problem with the skin that you are using. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    I have just checked this using my "ClassicWide" skin, for a programme that is currently recording:

(1) The red dot does appear in the list of recordings on the "Recorded TV" panel.

(2) The red dot does appear in both the pause OSD and the info OSD if the programme being recorded is watched live.
    Skin tested was StreamedMP
    And yes, this is normal.
    I confess I don't look in the MP code so, maybe an error could be in skins instead of C#

(3) The red dot does not appear in the pause and info OSDs if I watch some other channel while a programme is recording (I think that this is the correct behaviour).

(4) A red dot does not appear in the pause and info OSDs if I watch a recording stored in the "Videos" section while a programme is recording (I think that this is the correct behaviour).

I would conclude that there is no underlying problem with the MP 1.21 base product. It looks as though it is a problem with the skin that you are using. :(
    This is where our point of view is different with the "correct behaviour".
    For me, recording indication should be displayed in all cases but, it's just my opinion...

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Well, ask the designer of StreamedMP to add the respective properties to the skin ;)
    In DefaultWideHD and in all my skins the red dot is shown as it should ;)
    Hello catavolt,

May be am I wrong but, in DefaultWideHD, I didn't found red dot in fullscreen OSD

1.jpg 2.jpg
    Nor in ARES

But in Titan, YES
    3.jpg
    And the behaviour in StreamedMP is the same as explained by CyberSimian
    So, maybe, it's wanted by StreamedMP Team.
    Then, I don't think it's MP code change relevant since red dot appears in many screens when recording
    So, if I want to change this behaviour for my own use, I could replace some video full screen OSD in many skin .xml files with "permanent" red dot property, I suppose

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    As I understand it, we are discussing whether the red dot appears in the info OSD when watching live TV. The info OSD is the pop-up that appears when you press the INFO button on the remote control. I have just tried the following skins: Amped, Ares, ClassicWide, DefaultWideHD, Titan. (I don't have StreamedMP installed.) These are the results:

(1) When watching the channel that is being recorded, all skins apart from DefaultWideHD show the red dot in the info OSD.

(2) When watching some other channel (i.e. not the channel being recorded), none of the skins show the red dot in the info OSD.

(3) Only ClassicWide shows the red dot in the pause OSD when the channel being watched is the channel being recorded.

The result for DefaultWideHD seems like a regression. Has the red dot got lost? @catavolt ?

If StreamedMP does not show the red dot, the MP skin engine has the capability to display it. The xml for the skin merely needs to specify it. This is for the skin author to decide, and to implement if he considers it to be an improvement.

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    As I understand it, we are discussing whether the red dot appears in the info OSD when watching live TV
    Not only.
    Imagine this case :
    You are recording a channel.
    It's a reccurent recording since age then, you don't rememenber the end program time.
    Because you use comskip, you never look at this record when record.
    So, you do something else, watch a downloaded film, look at a previously recorded tv serie, even listen to music.
    But, microsoft asked you to reboot your computer because windows update.
    Ah, sh.t, f.cking m$soft, no way because MP is recording !
    That's a case where you would need to know when recording is finished (red dot off), to finally reboot, independant what you are doing presently.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    That's a case where you would need to know when recording is finished (red dot off), to finally reboot, independent what you are doing presently.
    Of the skins that I tested:

(1) All of the skins show the red dot on MP text panels when a recording is occurring. These are panels such as: "Home", "Videos", "Recorded TV", "TV Guide", and so on.

(2) None of the skins show a red dot on the video itself if MP is showing fullscreen video (live TV, recorded TV, or video) when a recording is occurring.

(3) All of the skins (apart from DefaultWideHD) show the red dot on the info OSD if the channel being watched is the channel being recorded.

(4) None of the skins show the red dot on the info OSD if the channel being watched is not the channel being recorded.

(5) None of the skins show the red dot on the info OSD if it is a recording or a video that is being watched when a recording is occurring.

If I have understood your scenario, it is (4) and (5) that you think should behave differently. Well, that is an alternative preference, and so not "wrong". But the agreement amongst the behaviour of the various skins suggests to me that there is no bug as such. You are asking for a change in the design, and not asking for a bug fix. Ultimately, it is the skin author who will decide whether he agrees with this suggested design change, and chooses to implement it. If you use StreamedMP, you need to ask the author or maintainer of StreamedMP to implement this change. If he is reluctant to implement this change, you can of course make the changes to your own copies of the relevant skin files.

Everyone has their own preferences for the appearance and behaviour of skins. The reason that I decided to create my ClassicWide skin is because there were aspects of DefaultWide that I did not like. So I created a skin that I do like.

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    (4) None of the skins show the red dot on the info OSD if the channel being watched is not the channel being recorded.

(5) None of the skins show the red dot on the info OSD if it is a recording or a video that is being watched when a recording is occurring.

If I have understood your scenario, it is (4) and (5) that you think should behave differently. Well, that is an alternative preference, and so not "wrong". But the agreement amongst the behaviour of the various skins suggests to me that there is no bug as such. You are asking for a change in the design, and not asking for a bug fix. Ultimately, it is the skin author who will decide whether he agrees with this suggested design change, and chooses to implement it. If you use StreamedMP, you need to ask the author or maintainer of StreamedMP to implement this change. If he is reluctant to implement this change, you can of course make the changes to your own copies of the relevant skin files.
    Yes, exactly, this is not a bug.
    But at the begining, I didn't know if it was a bug or not and, if it was code or skin changes.
    That's why I wrote I will change .xml myself to suit my need (or StreamedMP Team will change if they think my proposal is better than actual operation).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom