[Remote] red, green, blue and yellow buttons (1 Viewer)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi

On my remote I have four buttons that I never use in MediaPortal. On all my regular remotes they function with teletext, I can sort recordings and other useful stuff.

When I was on DVBViewer a long time ago, this software made extensive use of these buttons. For instance the red button was always delete.

If anyones cares for these buttons as I do, please raise your voice. I may even go develop a plugin if others finds it useful. Should be a pretty easy task, bind the buttons to certain commands in certain windows. Then bind a new skin-file on your skin and let the plugin cater for visibility of the buttons.

Let me hear your opinion :D

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Eh... the teletext buttons are assigned in MP (like toggle fullscreen etc.).
    It's late, so I might be missing out here, though....

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    What I would like is a visual indication of what buttons do what. Kind of like 4 buttons on a row somewhere in the skin:

red=delete, green=change watched status, blue=sort, yellow=search

These mappings should of course change with the plugin displayed. Take a look at these screenshots: DVB viewer - Screenshots

Now, they're in no way perfect but serves to illustrate the function of the four buttons. For instance I always miss a "delete" button in "Recorded TV", and the WAF will not increase if I map this to something like "DVD Menu" on my remote. It has to be illustrated and logical.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Ah, of course!
    I actually remember that I once played with a similar idea myself, but I kinda thought the current mappings would make it impossible. Thinking of it now (as I've learned more about the mapping structure) this should be possible.

Great idea! IMO this could improve WAF considerably.

CHli

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    The delete button is '0' on your remote. But I like the idea of having the mapping of these buttons on the screen.

doornjoostje

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    What I would like is a visual indication of what buttons do what. Kind of like 4 buttons on a row somewhere in the skin:

red=delete, green=change watched status, blue=sort, yellow=search

These mappings should of course change with the plugin displayed. Take a look at these screenshots: DVB viewer - Screenshots

Now, they're in no way perfect but serves to illustrate the function of the four buttons. For instance I always miss a "delete" button in "Recorded TV", and the WAF will not increase if I map this to something like "DVD Menu" on my remote. It has to be illustrated and logical.

+1

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Some kind of consistance would be required though. You wouldn't want Red to be Delete in one plugin and Play in another. I can just imagine the frustrations when users delete something they wanted to watch :)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hehe...yeah...the colour red is a warning colour and should only be mapped to something...hmmm...destructive? ;)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I'll make a list of the functions the four colours have on my good old STB. The wife have loved it since she found out that it could record and pause live tv. Now I just need to convince her that MediaPortal is just as easy...well, because MP is a LOT more than just a recorded, she sometimes get lost in how to do what. This could help a bit.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Please remember that every screen that has the video overlay is already using the RED button to toggle between fullscreen and windowed video modes. (and in fullscreen mode there are subtitle, zoommode and audio language selections alread).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom