Reduce storage size of 'thumbs' folder (MovPic + TVSeries) (1 Viewer)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @SpudR, the script as per original thread, or the sidelined discussion? I ran the script myself as recent as last week, and still works fine for me. Would need to know more details then on what happened, such as the log file that is generated.

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Thanks @RoChess
    Believe me though - I am not running this again just for the logs.
    I finally had to resort to recreating the entire database again it made such a mess.
    Suffice to say, never again!

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @SpudR, sorry to hear, but without logs it is a small needle in a very large haystack. I'm on a 32GB SSD for my HTPC so this script is critical for me. Vista ruined it eventually by running me out of storage due to WinSxS after 3 years, but Microsoft finally fixed that for Windows 8.1, so that is what I use now.

Moving-Pictures does a much better job now though keeping artwork in check. Originally I was dealing with 15MB posters images of rediculous resolutions of like 4000x12000, and when you have a very large collection that quickly caused the thumbs folder to be like >20GB. With this script I am able to keep it around 6GB.

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    I hear your pain!
    I too had a similar issue - but using the advanced settings in MovingPictures, I managed to get a good resolution/filesize ratio that worked for me :)
    I'm also on a small SSD, but created a quick cleanup script (using CCleaner and Cleanmgr /sagerun) which keeps all the extra Windows rubbish in check.
    I also have a 2nd HDD for media and a 3rd for TV (recordings and timeshifting), these mean I can keep the OS drive clean :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom