Regarding the deploytool (1 Viewer)

Sypher

Portal Member
June 13, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I don't know if this is the right section to post in. If not, I hope someone can move this to the appropriate forum.

As soon as I saw the RC2 announcement (which has an incorrect timestamp ;)) I downloaded the RC2 release.
I backed up my Team Mediaportal folder, the folder in Application Data and the skin (Indigo) and reinstalled a fresh one (after the installation was complete).

The installation found that I already had RC1 which should be removed.
So, I did this. But... It also removes the languages folder. Some plugins (like MP-TV Series, World Map) rely on this folder for their strings.

After rebooting - TVServer crashed during installation :/ - there was an error on my main menu stating "myHome.xml" was incorrect or didn't exist. This also occurred with the default skin.

So, In the logs there was a remark that it couldn't find its language files (for WorldMap to be precise).

I'd hereby like to suggest to not remove the whole contents of the language folder, but only the ones that are shipped by default.

TV-Server Version: 1.0 RC2
MediaPortal Version: 1.0 RC2
MediaPortal Skin: Indingo
Windows Version: Windows XP SP3
CPU Type: Intel E8400 - 2.6 GHz x2
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB
Memory: 2x 1024 MB DDR2 800 Mhz
Motherboard: Asus P5N-EM HDMI
Video Card: Asus GeForce 8500 GTS Silent (passive)
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card: Creative Audigy
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Medion/AverTV
1. TV Card Type: Analog
1. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: PureVideo / MPV
MPEG2 Audio Codec: PureAudio / MPA
h.264 Video Codec: CoreAVC / Cyberlink
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Ziggo (Casema)
HTPC Case: Antec NSK2480 -v2
Cooling: Scythe Ninja Mini + 2x Nexus Supersilent casefans (120mm)
Power Supply: Antec, 380w
Remote: Microsoft MCE Remote
TV: LG 32"
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Sypher,

thx for your feedback.

To confirm your problem i need more detailed information.
    Did you install MP and TVServer by hand using the nsis installers (2exe files) or did you run DeployTool and led it do the job for (un)install and first run configuration?

In general i understand what you mean, but that shouldn't happen, because
    1. we only remove all files in the language folder, but not recursive. That means all files in the language folder, but not it's sub folders.
    2. If your installation directory (containing the lang folder) still exists during installation, it will be renamed, so that mp is installed in a clean directory. That also can be the reason that the lang files are not found.

EDIT:
    Could it be that you had an RC1 installed without a svn? Maybe i changed the way how to delete the lang folder after we released RC1, so that only user have this problem who did never install a svn after the change has been made.
    Background: With every svn installation the uninstaller.exe will be overwritten.

regards
    chefkoch

Sypher

Portal Member
    June 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Sypher,

thx for your feedback.
    You're welcome. Everything to make this ass-kicking application better ;)
    To confirm your problem i need more detailed information.
    Did you install MP and TVServer by hand using the nsis installers (2exe files) or did you run DeployTool and led it do the job for (un)install and first run configuration?
    I used the DeployTool which uninstalled RC1
    In general i understand what you mean, but that shouldn't happen, because
    1. we only remove all files in the language folder, but not recursive. That means all files in the language folder, but not it's sub folders.
    2. If your installation directory (containing the lang folder) still exists during installation, it will be renamed, so that mp is installed in a clean directory. That also can be the reason that the lang files are not found.

EDIT:
    Could it be that you had an RC1 installed without a svn? Maybe i changed the way how to delete the lang folder after we released RC1, so that only user have this problem who did never install a svn after the change has been made.
    Background: With every svn installation the uninstaller.exe will be overwritten.
    regards
    chefkoch
    Yes, I had a "virgin" RC1 version. I had a SVN build a while back, but that didn't work as expected so I rolled it back to a backup I've made.

The MediaPortal (language) directory from RC1 didn't get renamed. The only way go get it to work properly again was restoring the files from my backup.

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    k, so it seems like this was a bug in rc1, you should be able to try to uninstall rc2 and reinstall it, without loosing the language files.

But be careful, b2 and b2wide are removed, even if those contain xml files from other plugins.

regards
    chefkoch

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom