Remote control with power on? (1 Viewer)

jimwin

Portal Pro
December 23, 2007
Home Country
England England
I'm trying to finish off my HTPC, and I'm looking for a way to power it on and off via remote control.

My spec is:
Antec NSK1300 case
Foxcon P4M9000 motherboard
Intel E2140
2GB RAM
500GB HDD
Logitech MX5000 Blutooth Keyboard / Mouse
Cyberlink Remote Reciever
Logitech Harmony 555

I've been searching around, and I don't think my IR receiver will ever work to power the PC on. Does anyone know of a product that will allow me to use my Harmony to power the PC on (and off too!). I've noticed that some of the other Antec cases have a built in IR receiver that plugs into the ATX power switch, so I think I need something that does that?

jimwin

Portal Pro
December 23, 2007
Home Country
England England
Thanks mrmojo, but can you be a little more specific? For info, I am currently able to bring my HTPC in and out of standby via the remote, but not power up.

I wasn't aware this would be any different with a MCE remote, unless the receiver links into the ATX power switch jumper on the motherboard?

Flerbizky

Portal Pro
July 18, 2005
Copenhagen
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
My OrigenAE case came with a display which hacks into the main supply from the PSU -> MoBo to be able to start the HTPC from fully off.. I'm not aware of any other options..

It's a fully MCE compatible remote as well.

jimwin

Portal Pro
December 23, 2007
Home Country
England England
Thanks Flerbizky!
I've looked at the OrigenAE site, and it looks like they make the IR receiver and remote package for any PC case. Unfortunately, there is only 1 UK supplier, and they only stock the "VFD" version, at £60!
http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=992&cat=0&page=1

This seems to be a popular idea at the moment, as there is a recent article at Toms Hardware too.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Remote-Contol-PC-Remote-Controls-OrigenAE,review-30003.html

It does look like the Omaura remote kit does the same at a more reasonable price though:

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=4333&cat=0&page=3

Has anyone tried the Omaura kit?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Any volunteers on this one, website from what i can see does not explicitly say this will power up from off (next bad word), but wiring diagram insinuates it may do.

Wish manufacturers would promote the really good points on things like this and make it crystal clear of its capabilities.

Looks like the new Vista mce philips remote, possibly you are going to be our guinea pig on this one.

Really hope this works out, would be a nice green alternative to the mce remote.

:confused:

Flerbizky

Portal Pro
    July 18, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Any volunteers on this one, website from what i can see does not explicitly say this will power up from off (next bad word), but wiring diagram insinuates it may do.
    Judging from the schematics, I don't think it'll power on from completely off. If it doesn't hook up to the PSUs 5v standby power, the receiver won't get any power to keep the receiver online.

I'm tempted by their OLED though - That's drool factor 100 !...

pbb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 30, 2006
    Trondheim
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I've got the Silverstone ST16M, which includes a SoundGraph (iMON) display and remote. (I believe it's an OEM Type C.) As far as I know this can turn the PC on and off, it is connected to the powersupply cables. But I hardly ever turn the HTPC off, I just use standby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom