remote controller - change it or not? (1 Viewer)

kallak

Portal Member
January 28, 2006
Poland
Hi!
Last friday I bought a logitech ultraX remote controller - because medialife software which is added to this pilot seemed fine to me, but then curiousity made me to look for plugins or extensions for this program and then i finally found totally another program MEDIAPortal.... its awsome!! :shock: it has every option that i wanted and is so beautiful..scalable... everthing i've ever dreamed of! :lol:
But....when i started to customize and setup i realize that obly a few functions of this pilot can be used with my pilot (directions keys,back,play and sometimes rewind)....
After 2 days of using MediaPortal i'm convinced that MS pilot would be better choice, if not the best remote controller to use with MediaPlanet.

What do you suggest - changing my pilot to MCE Controller or... wait for MediaPlanet to support this Logitech pilot fully (is it going to support it?)? (Logitech which has one great advantage important - it is using radio 2.4 ghz waves not ir, which is of course great thing when computer is in another room behind wall.

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,
    mPod said:
    Wow... But what is MediaPlanet? :oops:
    Don't you know them? They already have a great homepage: http://www.mediaplanet.com/ ;-)

EDIT: I don't think native support for the UltraX remote is going to be added to MP anytime soon, unless someone proves me wrong and starts writing support for it? I'm not sure how this remote works, but maybe you can make all buttons work when you use a third party app like Girder. If you really want a remote with good native support in MP then at the moment the european version iof the MCE remote is your friend.

Kind regards,
    Michel

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    scoop said:
    If you really want a remote with good native support in MP then at the moment the european version iof the MCE remote is your friend.
    Or Hauppauge, or x10. All are natively supported and user configurable (MCE fully supported, but not configurable yet).

Enevold

February 2, 2006
    i also bought this remote, and i think it's great.
    it's cheap has all the buttons you need, and works (as mentioned by the threadstarter) even if the pc is in another room.

the only thing that totally sucks, is the inability to use it with mediaportal. :p

it would be great to see this remote supported.
    if anyone would have tips how to get it working with some 3rd-party apps that would be great, beause i totally have no idea how this could be done.

kallak

Portal Member
    January 28, 2006
    Poland
    Enevold said:
    i also bought this remote, and i think it's great.
    it's cheap has all the buttons you need, and works (as mentioned by the threadstarter) even if the pc is in another room.

the only thing that totally sucks, is the inability to use it with mediaportal. :p

it would be great to see this remote supported.
    if anyone would have tips how to get it working with some 3rd-party apps that would be great, beause i totally have no idea how this could be done.

thanks Enevold - at last proper person who uses this great remote controller noticed my thread :wink: ...hope there is somebody who will help and support us!

ALS324A1

October 31, 2005
    Ok, now is my solution to get this Logitech 2.4 Ghz thingy work...
    I use Girder (v 4.0) with HID plugin and some small script.. more details at http://www.promixis.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13325&highlight=logitech+ultax

To Enevold
    I have some info about this remote, partly from linux kernel development posts by Vojtech Pavlik, Micah F. Galizia and Dmitry Torokhov. They wrote the code for support subj remote. Another part of info is result of my small research. Anyway, gider forum thread link posted above should be enough... If not, questions are always welcome

To kallak
    Thanks for PM, I have almost forgotten about this forum, if not your message :)

kallak

Portal Member
    January 28, 2006
    Poland
    ALS324A1 said:
    Ok, now is my solution to get this Logitech 2.4 Ghz thingy work...
    I use Girder (v 4.0) with HID plugin and some small script.. more details at http://www.promixis.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13325&highlight=logitech+ultax

To kallak
    Thanks for PM, I have almost forgotten about this forum, if not your message :)

ALS324A1 thak you for your answer - i installed Girder 4, HID plugin...and realized that this is what i was looking for :) In fact - it is more complicated than i expected, especially to set all functions and buttons (or most of them) to work with program to which there is no fully prepared defeinition .GML file. Since you posted your info i'm trying to configure Girder to work with my controller - but it's not easy. I came across MEdiaPortal GML file from promixis site with plugins to Girder, but it has only a few options - even there is no startup/quit.
    Does anybody have already prepared gml file with more functions than in this file available from promixis plugins site?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom