Remote keys mapping (1 Viewer)

MightyPolo

Portal Pro
October 24, 2007
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Hi friends,
once again i decided to install this plugin. Media portal in its RC1 release seems to be very stable, iam pleased.

Now i found some posts that you guys sucessfully managed to map keys for controlling emulators.

I would like to map keys on my ir remote to specific keys on keyboard. but only when the emulator is running so that its not interfering with media portal gui.

I was thinking of mp budy. It handles the green button, maybe it can do more?

Thankyou and have a good day.

Atreides

Portal Pro
June 28, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have mine setup with a program called Girder. You have to pay for it but you might find a free substitute. I have the remote close the top window(The emulator window that is up) and launch a batch file I call omnikill, when I press the * button *I chose that one because I do not use it in mediaportal). Most emulators will close and stop running if you just execute a close window command and you do not need to press alt+f4 or Esc, but with some like ePSXe, etc. it will close the window and then still be running in the background. That is why I launch omnikill,bat which does a task kill for all the emulators that do not close down with the close window execution. For the remote to not interfere with mediaportal I have it suspend for all the emulators I launch, even nintendo and such. Hope this helps. Also, with Girder you can map keyboard presses if you want, which is what I did at first but I find this method much better. Let me know if you have any questions about my setup.

gamingexpert

Portal Pro
August 10, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Check out Xpadder. i like it the best out of any key mapping programs i've used. its got tons of options and has a pretty nice layout.

The feature that i think would be useful in this case is the ability to set a button to switch the entire control set.

what you can do is set up one control set for normal operation of mediaportal (or just set all but one of the keys blank if you're already using something else that you don't want to conflict with), then click on the little "2" button on the bottom of the xpadder window to select the 2nd set, and set all your buttons how you want them while running your emulators. then pick a remote button and set it as a set selector: click on the button you want, click Advanced, click the Set Selector tab, and select "Set 2 two-way" (or "Set 1 two-way", if you're on set 2 already), then close, close, and you should be able to press the button on the remote and see it switch the control set.

Let me know if you're confused or need any help with anything else with the program. i'll attach a screenshot of my setup, and a couple tips..

the last free version of Xpadder is 5.3, that's what I use and it works great. you can get it here Xpadder 5.3 Free - Softpedia (btw its not illegal to download old versions of programs, this program is legitimately free).
now if you're on windows 7, you'll have to run it in compatibility mode for Vista SP2. its really easy, just go to the Xpadder.exe file, right click, Properties, Compatibility tab, click "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)". I also checked the box to run as administrator so it has control of anything i open, you probably don't have to do this though if you don't want to click Yes every time you open it.

once you open the program, to set it up you basically just set a picture of your controller or remote as the background, then press all the keys on it and lay them out where they are on the remote. then you can just click on each one in the main window to set it to whatever you want.

i got my controller images from here: WiiFi's Xpadder Fan site but you can probably use any remote image you find on google.

yGLXh.png
AIgDc.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom