[confirm] Remote not working after resume (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I restarted my PC from Hibernate mode and found that the remote wasn't working. The keyboard still made MP respond.

I tried:
restarting MP
stopping and restarting the TV Service
rebooting

Only the last got the remote working again.

I've attached four log archives, one from straight after resume when I found the remote wasn't working and one for each of the three things mentioned above that I tried to get it working.

Pom

Portal Pro
August 10, 2006
Gloucester
Home Country
I get this problem on my setup every now and then (very rare mind). I have an MCE remote and my problem is PC related. I just have to unplug the USB cable from the remote sensor, wait a few seconds then plug it in again and then remote starts working again. Did you try plugging/unplugging the remote sensor at all?

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
I can't do that with mine I'm afraid as it's not a USB sensor but built into the PCI TV card.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    I can't do that with mine I'm afraid as it's not a USB sensor but built into the PCI TV card.

This might give a bit of a clue about your other problem though. As I am sure you know, the Nova-T 500 is two USB tuners on a PCI card with USB bridge. If you are getting the USB disconnected sound, this does point to a problem with the card not being recognised on resume.

Mark

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    This is almost certainly not an issue with MP but with the hardware/drivers. First off check in device manager when remote is working, is there an entry for it? Then on resume when it is not working have a look again, I highly suspect you will not see the remote or there will be an exclamation mark next to it.

Also to confirm it is not an MP issue is there any other software you could test remote in?

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country

This might give a bit of a clue about your other problem though. As I am sure you know, the Nova-T 500 is two USB tuners on a PCI card with USB bridge. If you are getting the USB disconnected sound, this does point to a problem with the card not being recognised on resume.

Mark

Sorry I don't quite understand what you mean by my "other problem". If you just meant the remote not working, I doubt the card isn't being recognised as the tuner part worked, just not the remote. I realise this may have a separate driver as jameson_uk suggest though.

I don't get any sounds as I've disabled them all as they're annoying but I might turn the USB one back on for checking ;)

This is almost certainly not an issue with MP but with the hardware/drivers. First off check in device manager when remote is working, is there an entry for it? Then on resume when it is not working have a look again, I highly suspect you will not see the remote or there will be an exclamation mark next to it.

Also to confirm it is not an MP issue is there any other software you could test remote in?

I'll try checking device manager if it happens again.

I haven't got any other software to test with I'm afraid. There is the stupid little app that comes with the driver, which always crashes, but I'd have to remember how to program the .ini file to test it, so I'll just stick with checking the DM for now.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country

Mark

Sorry I don't quite understand what you mean by my "other problem".

I was referring to your BSOD with TV problem.

Since both of these problems are related to your Nova-T 500 card, they really do point to a common cause. Sorry you won't find this to be much help, but I don't think this is a MediaPortal problem and I don't think there is anything we can do.

As a last resort, you could try reinstalling Windows and just using XP SP2.

When you updated to SP3, did you reinstall the multiple tuner patch? I understand that updating to SP3 removes it.

Mark

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I didn't update to SP3, did a fresh install with a SP3 CD, so no problem with disabling the multi-tuner patch.

The BSOD problem seems more related to the Nvidia decoder, maybe just with Cat 10.5, as it hasn't happened so far with the Cyberlink decoder, so that's one problem eliminated (fingers crossed).

I'll have to keep an eye on the remote problem.

Thanks for your help.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    I didn't update to SP3, did a fresh install with a SP3 CD, so no problem with disabling the multi-tuner patch.

The BSOD problem seems more related to the Nvidia decoder, maybe just with Cat 10.5, as it hasn't happened so far with the Cyberlink decoder, so that's one problem eliminated (fingers crossed).

I'll have to keep an eye on the remote problem.

Thanks for your help.

Did you install the multi-tuner patch after installing XP SP3?

hfcrussell

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 16, 2007
    Perth
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I restarted my PC from Hibernate mode and found that the remote wasn't working. The keyboard still made MP respond.

I tried:
    restarting MP
    stopping and restarting the TV Service
    rebooting

Only the last got the remote working again.

I've attached four log archives, one from straight after resume when I found the remote wasn't working and one for each of the three things mentioned above that I tried to get it working.

I had a similar problem on my wifes client in the lounge room.

My fix was to stop windows shutting down USB on sleep in device manager.

I too have a Nova T 500 card in my server machine with no dramas. That one is awake all the time.

HTH,

Russell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom